lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-19-2018, 02:11 PM   #1
bobert_e
Not Yet Wild

Default Club Car Precedent Feels week

Hello All,

I have a club car precedent and recently it has started to feel very weak and slower than it used to be. I've also had an issue with the battery cable connections corroding and eventually eating all the way through the ring terminal connector. I recently replaced the battery cables (the 5 that connect the 6 batteries) with 2 gauge cables but did not notice much of a change.

The batteries are 2.5 - 3 years old and I've always done a good job of ensuring they are properly filled with distilled water. I have a voltage meter installed on the cart and do not notice any abnormalities, in fact when I changed out the cables to the new 2 gauge ones it reads as high as 56 V just after a charge.

To help describe the feeling, its almost as if it looses power for a half a second, then comes back and seems to degrade speed wise especially if going up a hill.

Also, the cart is lifted, has the code 3 programed on it and I used to see about 18 mph, has back seat kit, LED head light/Tail Light, LED underbody lights (doubt that information is important but figured I'd include it in case there is something that could be a cause).

Anyone have any ideas??

Thanks in advance for the help, been a long time lurker but finally registered since I have an issue I can't figure out.
bobert_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-19-2018, 02:24 PM   #2
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Default Re: Club Car Precedent Feels week

The very first thing to check is the pack voltage. Let it completely charge and once cut off, wait 12 hours or so and check the charge across the pack with your digital volt meter. You should be 50.93 volts. After that, leave the volt meter connected and then lay it on your seat and go for a ride. It the voltage starts dropping hard (<45 volts) you are suffering from a weak pack. If the pack voltage is not at 50.9 volts after 12 hours from the charge completion, unplug the pack and wait a minute and plug it back in and do an equalization charge.

Also, when you are riding, try an incline and see what your voltage drop is there, too.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 05:19 AM   #3
Raystar57
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Club Car Precedent Feels week

After confirming the full pack voltage drop going on the incline do each battery individually.
If one is off with respect to the others it could have a bad cell.
You can get a glass float type hydrometer, not the ones with little balls at auto parts stores inexpensively.
This can show a weak cell and the specific gravity reading.
Not really necessary as if you have a medium to large drop on that battery it needs replaced.
On a 2-3yr old pack you could use a new battery but the older ones will pull it down a little.
It should be fine until you replace the full set.
Just try to match the AH capacity a close a possible.

Reconditioned batteries can be option but check them with the hydrometer before you buy.
Raystar57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car