lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-08-2019, 05:15 PM   #1
cclontz
Not Yet Wild

Default JW9-82107 Charger overcharging

I have a 2009 G29 with four brand new Trojan's. I don't use my cart too often and I noticed a couple of weeks ago that the charger was running. I unplugged it and turned on the cart to check the ammeter. It read 56V. I know it has to sit for a while to read accurately but I was very concerned. I left it unplugged for a week and it eventually got down to 53V. Since 100% is 50.9, I assume the charger is malfunctioning. I opened it up but I cannot see any physical damage and I cannot test the output without a load. Does anyone have any suggestions where to go from here? I hate to through a bunch of money into a new charger if that's not the issue. I did drive the cart since this and it did 18 holes (on extremely steep hills) and I believe it was at about 80% charge when I got back.
cclontz is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-08-2019, 05:49 PM   #2
rib33024

Default Re: JW9-82107 Charger overcharging

I take it this is a 48 volt cart?. Your pack can get to around 60 and as high as 65 volts in some cases. Before the charger will turn off. If you want to load test your batteries. You can use your cart to do that. But I don't think you need to do that. What kind of batteries were in your cart before this new set? Every thing sounds good from what you are telling us
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 07:48 PM   #3
cclontz
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: JW9-82107 Charger overcharging

Quote:
Originally Posted by rib33024 View Post
I take it this is a 48 volt cart?. Your pack can get to around 60 and as high as 65 volts in some cases. Before the charger will turn off. If you want to load test your batteries. You can use your cart to do that. But I don't think you need to do that. What kind of batteries were in your cart before this new set? Every thing sounds good from what you are telling us
Yes, it's a 48V. It had Trojan T1275's which is what I replaced them with. The old set was a mix of old and new from the 'dealer' and just never lasted long. So I've had the new ones in for about 5 months and I've seen it charge to as high as 51.x right as I take the charger off but it settles to about 50.8 - 51.0 after is sits for an hour or so. I saw a small amount of water on the top of a couple of batteries and just a little under the cart. I cleaned it all up and checked all water levels. I have only seen slight sweating since. But usually the charger shuts off after it gets to about 51 or so and I don't think I have the one that come back on to trickle charge. It seems to need a power cycle to top the cart up every so often.
cclontz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jw9-82107, overcharge, overcharging
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha