lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-16-2019, 09:17 AM   #1
bsa_bob
Gone Wild

Club Car

Question quick question; charger not going back

I have newer batteries 8volt~ Problem !~I use the cart. put it back right back on the charger/short trips -all day trips around property/Iplug it back in- IT always goes clear over to 15 volts after every use.Well lately-- it charges back up- but the needle stops recharging at 5 volts/ ~there was water abit low in batteries this week~ on the positive end of the 8 batteries.It has always [the needle] went from 15 all the way back to zero.There is water laying all over the tops of all the batteries,but this is nothing new, since the "new batteries"were installed couple years ago.Would anyone have a cause in mind? that i have to check out.Iam at an age where this cart has become indespensible for me. CLUB CAR 2002 in great shape other wise,thank you much for any help or tips i can try bob s
bsa_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-16-2019, 10:42 PM   #2
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Default Re: quick question; charger not going back

I wrote this in your other post but I will here too.

Your Powerdrive2 works off (is controlled by) your OBC. The OBC will account for the energy units depleted from the pack and then when charged it will replenish 110% of that energy. The algorithm has three (3) stages and the Finish or Topping Off phase will bring the charger down to a very low amperage, about ~4 amps or so and will not go any lower. This is when the charge voltage is at its very highest point. Based on the calibration of your amp needle, it could read 3-5 amps during this phase, but it will never go down to 3, then 2, then 1 and then cut off. It will stay at the low amp/high voltage until completed and then cut off. If it does not cut off and just sits at 5 amps, then we have an OBC issue.

In regards to acid mist, that can be common as batteries gets older since the charger will generally run longer and push to a higher voltage to complete the proper charge needed. The main thing to do is park and plug it as you are now (or at least daily) so as to avoid excess charging, also maintain the water levels 1/4" and no more than 1/2" above your plates.

Maintaining your pack at a charged level will keep the pack healthy and avoid sulfation from building in them.

It would be good to reset your OBC right now just to clear it out and start fresh. Just disconnect the main pack negative post and leave it for 20-30 minutes and then reconnect it. If this is a Series cart (FNR Lever), you can place it in Rev and press the pedal until the reverse buzzer quits sounding. Either way will work fine.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car