lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-10-2019, 05:54 PM   #1
Toolmaker Bob
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Winter Storage

My 2009 Club Car Precedent is now in my UNHEATED garage for the winter. I will leave the battery charger plugged in all winter. Should I place RUN/TOW switch in TOW position and leave it there until next spring?
Toolmaker Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-10-2019, 08:52 PM   #2
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Default Re: Winter Storage

You sure can. The maintenance mode for the Powerdrive will still become active every ~15 days.

If you prefer, you can fully charge them and disconnect the pack. Choice is yours...
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 04:21 PM   #3
Rootman
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

But I live in a climate where it drops below zero, so it’s my understanding that a maintenance charger won’t keep the batteries from freezing. I was told to alway remove the batteries out of the garage and store them somewhere above freezing for the winter.
Rootman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 06:17 PM   #4
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Rootman, you were misinformed on a few items. First, a fully charged lead acid battery will not freeze until -70 f. Leaving them in the cart is fine, preferably under a roof or cover and out of the wind. Second, most golf cart chargers are in fact single use devices. You connect it, it charges, it shuts down. They do not restart without user intervention. However, some Club Car chargers as well as many aftermarket chargers WILL maintain the pack on a regular basis. There are also 36v and 48v battery maintainers that keep the pack in good shape during cold winters.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 05:52 AM   #5
alchemy
Gone Wild

I'm pretty sure it's best to store batteries at constant temperature, especially a warmer temp. Hot to cold and stillness is the basic process for crystal collection onto things. With batteries that is the leading problem, lead sulfate crystals collecting on the plates. Every time it goes from warmer to colder the liquid is more prone to deposit crystals.
alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 04:30 AM   #6
LouisC
Getting Wild

I store my cart outside...covered and out of the wind as much as possible. I was told by my dealer to make sure the batteries are fully charged (in Tow) and disconnect the pack Negative only. I live in Northern New Hampshire and the Winter's here can be brutal. I have done this for two Winter's now and when I uncover my cart in early May I've reconnected the Negative wire and check volts with my multimeter...so far the batteries have tested above 50v for the pack...I connect the charger (just as a precaution) get a full charge...and it is good to go...
LouisC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 09:35 AM   #7
shortspark
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

In what way is the information presented here different with lithium ion cart batteries? I just ordered a new Onward Lithium cart but have yet to read up on battery storage instructions. I know too hot or too cold is not good for these batteries (I live in Texas and don't worry about cold but it can get over 100 degrees in my cart room in the summer). I am sure good instructions will come with the cart but thought I would throw it out here just to see what the difference might be between what is being said in this thread about regular batteries vs lithium.
shortspark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 10:27 AM   #8
LabRat
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Great info guys...thanks
so the old folklore about a lead acid battery losing 1% of charge per day if inactive is false. The main point that i take away is to fully charge the pack before storage,
LabRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 11:27 AM   #9
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Lead Acid battery self discharge is reduced dramatically at cold conditions (less than 32F) but also increases dramatically at higher temperatures (over 90F).

The main detail is to allow at least 2 or 3 discharge/charge cycles after water is added and before placing the cart in cold storage to make sure the electrolyte is fully mixed.

If You are not going to have someone checking on the batteries periodically while in storage (once a month is fine), the best option is to disconnect the pack to avoid parasitic loads from draining the batteries.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 02:27 PM   #10
_ogre
Golf Cart? oops 😉

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolmaker Bob View Post
My 2009 Club Car Precedent is now in my UNHEATED garage for the winter. I will leave the battery charger plugged in all winter. Should I place RUN/TOW switch in TOW position and leave it there until next spring?
that's all i do in detroit, though i do use mine in the winter
can't say i've ever touched the tow/run switch unless i'm working on it
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1211161230_zpsqfcyran4.JPG (84.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg cc donuts.JPG (69.9 KB, 0 views)
_ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car