lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-25-2020, 06:01 PM   #1
Nottoosmart
Not Yet Wild

Default Reed Switch

Howdy from Texas y'all. I have a 2000 EZGO TXT. I searched the forum regarding reed switch problems and find all informative, but as always, my problem is a little different! My question, is it possible to have a couple of different reed switches that will work in the same charging recepticle? My original reed switch (part that goes in the hole) has a big flat black square plastic thing and the hole in the recepticle where it goes is obviously made for it - it's a perfect fit. I got a replacement reed switch and it's just a little wire. Seems that it is different enough that it could be the wrong one. I bought it from a reputable on-line golf cart retailer, and they say it "should" work. However, now, my charger acts completely different. I just don't know if it actually the correct one since it looks so different. Any advise you can give me would be appreciated. I gotta get this thing back up and running. Thanks.
Nottoosmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-25-2020, 06:32 PM   #2
Nottoosmart
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Reed Switch

Part 2 of my question: If I bypass the reed switch which I'd like to do, are there any other changes that need to happen to wires anywhere? I've been told that if you bypass the reed switch, you lose your ability to charge your cart. Is this true?
Old 04-25-2020, 06:36 PM   #3
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Reed switch is there to kill power to the activation circuit if the charger is plugged in. If you bypass it like most do just remember to run the charger cord through the steering wheel so you don’t drive off.
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 06:38 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

This ^^^^^ and bypass the reed switch per my pic attached. Ezgo dropped the reed switch in 2005 in favor of a regular 50 amp fuse at the main + battery terminal.
But really a 50 amp fuse on a 15-20 amp charger? Means the fuse will burn When and if the charger catches fire. Not all manufactures used charger fuses and I can't think of any modern carts with charger fuses.
It's your call but I would bypass and get on with it
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ezgo Reed Switch bypass.jpg (169.2 KB, 0 views)
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 06:56 PM   #5
Nottoosmart
Not Yet Wild

Thanks. I bypassed on the original - cut the reed switch off and put a wire nut on just to see what would happen. I have bigger problems that this I'm afraid... just trying to eliminate what I can and that was the first thing. Well, charger is good. Cart won't roll, but lights and back up buzzer are good. Going to investigate solinoid next.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO