lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-25-2020, 11:40 PM   #1
ccarrier
Not Yet Wild

Default EZGO 99 TXT DCS 36v Battery drain ideas?

Hi everyone,
I’ve read and utilized great info on here but never posted. But I have something that’s been bugging me for years...

I have never had good luck with how long my batteries last in this cart. I’d keep them charged, maintain them, trickle charge over winter, etc, but after a couple years they seemed to just lose strength, to the point I wouldn’t trust playing a whole round with them.

Well I got tired of it and read great things about lithium so I recently did a lithium (leaf) conversion. I bought 5 gen 2 batteries, and they sat in my basement for a couple months before I got around to installing them - over that time they stayed the same or read 0.01v lower than when I got them.

Now that everything is installed it all works great, but I notice that my BMS (Zeva) monitor will show a voltage drop about 0.2 or 0.3v overnight when everything is off and the BMS is in sleep mode. Everything is automated through the key switch - first click is to get power to the solenoid/wake up BMS, second click is for accessories (lights, voltage reducer).

My expectation converting to lithium is that I could turn it off and leave it for weeks without a change in voltage (as evidenced when I left the batteries in the basement). But the bigger issue is that when I drive it for a round of golf, it runs through almost the entire voltage range (4.1 to 3.3 per cell). Worried I might not make it home. And I’m guessing this is about 6 miles. I’d say the average pull on the batteries is about 50a, so if I had a 50ah capacity, this should run me about an hour, which would be 12-14 miles.

So maybe I have two things going on? There is a slight power draw when the cart is “off” AND there is something inefficient stealing power while I drive? Could there be something wrong with the motor or controller which is why my old batteries never lasted? I can live with the slight drain while it’s off, but not using up all my capacity for one round!

Your ideas would be appreciated! Thanks
ccarrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-26-2020, 12:12 AM   #2
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Default Re: EZGO 99 TXT DCS 36v Battery drain ideas?

I don't know anything about lithium, but do you have a voltage reducer for accessories?
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 12:17 AM   #3
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Sorry, I re-read and see you do have a reducer. I would unhook it for a night and see if it makes a difference.
Old 04-26-2020, 09:51 PM   #4
ccarrier
Not Yet Wild

Thanks, it’s probably worth a shot to unhook that and see if that is what is causing it to drop while it sits. I checked the voltage on the input side of it and it says 0.00, but maybe there is some phantom drain there.

Any ideas on the motor or controller and whether they can have an inherent drain, or cause inefficient use of the batteries? Would the cables to the motor be a problem if they are old? I didn’t have a reducer before I put lithium in.
ccarrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 11:11 PM   #5
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

I am neither an EZ GO or lithium expert. It was after 1:00 AM here when I replied thinking perhaps there would be nobody else to help.

The EZ GO guys should chime in sooner or later.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO