lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-10-2020, 06:10 PM   #1
TeaMan
Not Yet Wild

Default Cart won't pull solenoid in when key is turned on

I have a 2018 Yamaha 48V cart. It's a fleet model. It is an AC Power Tec.

I was attempting to install a battery gauge and the gauge has an input to turn it on that can go through the key switch. When I was trying to test it, I found the switch appears to pass the negative side, not positive side of the battery. When I was taking my leads off it shorted out momentarily. Now when I put the Tow/run switch in Run and turn the key switch on it on, I don't hear the solenoid pull in anymore. I opened the back up and found three fuses. Two if my memory is correct are 3A and one is 1A. I checked all three and they are all OK, they OHM out OK.

I have a red light blinking on the NEOS Controller. They are three long blinks and two short. I can't find anywhere what the diagnostics are for this to tell me what the lights are trying to tell me. Is there somewhere I can find this? Also, are there any other fuses than the three very near the solenoid in the passenger side back? It would make the most sense if a fuse blew, but I can only find the three.

I can only think of three things that could be wrong:
1. blown fuse (I'm hoping for this)
2. Solenoid is now bad
3. Controller was damaged (sure hoping against this)

I'm open for any ideas that may help me troubleshoot it.

One further question, what voltage pulls the solenoid in? Is it 48V or is it reduced to another voltage? I could try to put power on the control side of it to see if it would pull in manually, but don't want to introduce too much voltage.

Thanks Teaman
TeaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-10-2020, 08:20 PM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: Cart won't pull solenoid in when key is turned on

1- they put fuses in some barely visible spots- a possibility.
2- you cant destroy a solenoid by touching 2 little wires together -not it.
3- a very real possibilty.

I'll see if I can find some blinkey codes.

Sorry, the service manual doesnt specify blinkey codes for AC models. It goes straight to "hook up your dealer test equipment".
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 09:14 PM   #3
TeaMan
Not Yet Wild

Yea, I'm starting to lean towards #3 too. Couldn't see how the solenoid would see the short anyway. I did put my multimeter across the control wires on the solenoid and turned the key on, nothing. No voltage going to the control side. I suspect that comes from the controller.

The dealer that sold it to me was going to call Yamaha and see if they could tell them what the code means.

I followed the wires from the ignition to the back. The only place I didn't physically look at them was under the battery compartment. They split and go to the controller, by the solenoid and a couple connectors that are not used, probably accessories. I couldn't find any but the three fuses, One going from the output of the to somewhere. It was a 3A, and two others in the same vacinity, one 3A and the other 1A. I'm still hopeful that I missed one, the one, but not holding my breath.

If you have any ideas, let me know.

TeaMan
Old 06-10-2020, 09:32 PM   #4
TeaMan
Not Yet Wild

I have a question about the ignition switch that is confusing me a little. I'd have to verify again with my meter, but it seemed like I didn't get a voltage reading when connected to the negative terminal of the battery and the red wire on the ignition switch. I think I had to go to the positive terminal making me think the switch is switching the negative, not positive.

Another thing that was confusing is if I turned the ignition switch on, I get 54V DC with fully charged batteries. When off, it shows 46V DC. When I hooked my battery meter up to that wire, it would work when the switch was off, but not on.

The black wire also has 54V DC on it when in the on position. It seems that it had that on it in the off position too, but would have to verify. My battery meter would not work on the black wire in either ignition position.

What I find weird is that I can jumper the terminal that turns the meter on to the positive battery terminal wire and it will work, but it won't work when connected to 54V DC at the ignition switch. I could run it with a jumper but would have rather had it turn off when the cart is not in use.

TeaMan
Old 06-11-2020, 12:10 PM   #5
TeaMan
Not Yet Wild

Fearing the worst, I have been looking for a replacement controller. The cart I have is a fleet cart and the dealer had the programming changed to make it faster before he sold them. I'd almost like to keep the OEM parts if possible. Does anyone know if the PVT controller would be the same as the fleet? If I got a PVT controller, would it work and have the programming i.e. more speed than the fleet controller. I've not had much luck finding the part number on my controller, searching online. My part number is:

JC3-86510-00

The closest I can find have two more zero's:

JC3-86510-00-00

I'm not sure if it's the same part and if it would work. Maybe the zero's are redundant. Any insight from anyone? One site called it a Fleet/PVT part, making me wonder if they are the same with different programming. Any ideas?

Last, would it be smarter to get an aftermarket controller? If so, any recommendations. My main fear is that it won't be plug and play, won't work. It is a 2018 AC Golf cart.

Please excuse my ignorance. This is my first golf cart and I know absolutely nothing about them.

Thanks for any help.
TeaMan
Old 06-11-2020, 12:25 PM   #6
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

They are the same thing. On a yamaha part number, the "-00-00" is where they designate slight revisions & changes. Like a '"-10-00" would be one revision newer.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha