lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-15-2020, 12:23 PM   #11
Nsmustang55ol
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Batteries swollen on the sides

What is auto battery voltage detection
Nsmustang55ol is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-15-2020, 12:59 PM   #12
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Probably means the charger will automatically determine if you have a 36v pack, or a 48v pack.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 01:08 PM   #13
Nsmustang55ol
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
Probably means the charger will automatically determine if you have a 36v pack, or a 48v pack.
It changes from when you first plug it in. I’m thinking when you first plug it in it’s at a low % then when you come back a few min later it goes to 100%. The “state of charge” also changes from when you first plug it in. maybe it take a little bit to detect everything before starting its cycle? Please forgive my ignorance and all my questions. I’m eager to learn and take care of these batteries best I can.
Old 09-15-2020, 04:03 PM   #14
2K6TBSS
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nsmustang55ol View Post
It changes from when you first plug it in. I’m thinking when you first plug it in it’s at a low % then when you come back a few min later it goes to 100%. The “state of charge” also changes from when you first plug it in. maybe it take a little bit to detect everything before starting its cycle? Please forgive my ignorance and all my questions. I’m eager to learn and take care of these batteries best I can.
I have the Summit 2 charger too. I called Lester when I got the charger because it was saying my pack was 36 not 48. The guy told me that the first time you hook the charger up to the pack it will show 36v until it finished it's battery tests (which takes about 10-15 mins), after the tests the charger will adjust to what the pack has.

As for the charging profile, I can't really comment on that, as I have Trojan batteries.
2K6TBSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 05:01 PM   #15
Nsmustang55ol
Not Yet Wild

Ohh so when you first plug in it must run test to determine the “state of charge” and all that mess. Makes sense. When I got home i installed batteries, wired em up and plugged charger in. it’s definetley a difference from my old batteries. I’m at 92% and batteries are barely warm. maybe just a tad over ambient. Also that charger has started “phase 3” which with the old Trojans it only went to phase 2 once and then sat at 99% for hours and boiled the batteries bad. So I’m excited to drive this thing when it’s 100% lol.
Old 09-15-2020, 05:17 PM   #16
Nsmustang55ol
Not Yet Wild

I installed one of those battery meters that said “for Trojan batteries only. The 50% mark is only .09 away from each other. Will the meter be close enough to tell me when to recharge. Also I’m not sure how to rear the thing it’s confusing me. It’s the one that has L to R 1 red 2 yellow 7 green. Would I run that meter down to 50% overall? Or take it to the yellow?
Old 09-16-2020, 08:27 AM   #17
2K6TBSS
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
I installed one of those battery meters that said “for Trojan batteries only. The 50% mark is only .09 away from each other. Will the meter be close enough to tell me when to recharge. Also I’m not sure how to rear the thing it’s confusing me. It’s the one that has L to R 1 red 2 yellow 7 green. Would I run that meter down to 50% overall? Or take it to the yellow?
I would advise getting a digital battery meter for your cart (https://www.cartsunlimited.net/battery-meters.html). They are going to be much more accurate than any of the bar style meters you will find. It will show you how many volts you really have left on your pack.

You never want to run your batteries to 50%, I think the lowest you want to run them down is about 70%. Check out the battery info thread that JohnnieB started (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=152621), a lot of good info there.
2K6TBSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 09:24 AM   #18
Nsmustang55ol
Not Yet Wild

Yessir. I ordered a battery meter last night from the link. also got the pack charged up 100% last night. Charger did what it was suppose to. Wife and I went joy riding for about 15 miles still going strong. Do you want to get the batteries down to a certain capacity before recharging? Or is it ok just to keep it plugged in even if I only drove a little bit?
Old 09-16-2020, 11:03 AM   #19
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Yessir. I ordered a battery meter last night from the link. also got the pack charged up 100% last night. Charger did what it was suppose to. Wife and I went joy riding for about 15 miles still going strong. Do you want to get the batteries down to a certain capacity before recharging? Or is it ok just to keep it plugged in even if I only drove a little bit?
Lead-acid batteries have no memory, so there is no need to discharge them down to a certain capacity before recharging.

Recharge after each use, no matter how short the trip, or at least each night after the cart was used during the day.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 12:33 PM   #20
Nsmustang55ol
Not Yet Wild

Is it ok to charge them as soon as I park it for the night. or should I let them cool off. Also ok to drive it as soon as it’s unplugged.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO