lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-23-2021, 11:17 AM   #11
awilliam77
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Installed new clutch, engine shakes upon acceleration and slower to take off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in VA View Post
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07K74PYWZ...d_asin_0_title

Looks like a knockoff of a Yamaha clutch... Wonder what it looks like under the cover...
Looks exactly like the real comet clutch side. There's some videos on youtube from golf cart king.
awilliam77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-23-2021, 12:07 PM   #12
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

Default Re: Installed new clutch, engine shakes upon acceleration and slower to take off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by awilliam77 View Post
I was watching more videos last night and realized my problem. It's the secondary driven clutch. I trusted the seller in that the primary clutch needed to be replaced. Watching the secondary move, I think that's problem. It's very wobbly, especially at low rpms. I can rotate myself and the inner sheave moves like a dinner plate losing balance on a finger (slight exaggeration). I will be ordering a new secondary clutch, replace that and see if it fixes the issue. If not, i'll buy a real primary clutch. I am very new to all this, fyi.
Do yourself a favor before you order a china knockoff secondary. Check Plowmans.

https://www.plowmanscarts.com/parts_g_16_g_22.html
Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 12:57 PM   #13
awilliam77
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in VA View Post
Do yourself a favor before you order a china knockoff secondary. Check Plowmans.

https://www.plowmanscarts.com/parts_g_16_g_22.html
I plan on it. Unfortunately it doesn't come with all the parts, so i'll need to identify the broken parts. Hopefully it's the spring, but it may be a bushing, or something else.
Old 03-23-2021, 01:32 PM   #14
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Always physically investigate the problem before ordering parts. I've caught quite a few "major" problems before they happened by doing this. If you need help with a physical inspection we can help you if you post photos or a video. But, there's nothing like putting your hands on it.

I would take the secondary off before you do anything else. Post some pics up on this thread. Those secondary clutches usually wear out after lots of hours, so hopefully that's the issue. In that case I would install a new inner, outer, and spring from Plowman's Carts (see site sponsors page). Once they wear out the inside mounting surface the keyway falls out and the clutch won't have any tension, the outer sheave just floats there on the shaft.

Sometimes there is considerable input shaft wear and those need to be replaced. Hopefully that's not the case.
slonomo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 01:38 PM   #15
awilliam77
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by slonomo View Post
Always physically investigate the problem before ordering parts. I've caught quite a few "major" problems before they happened by doing this. If you need help with a physical inspection we can help you if you post photos or a video. But, there's nothing like putting your hands on it.

I would take the secondary off before you do anything else. Post some pics up on this thread. Those secondary clutches usually wear out after lots of hours, so hopefully that's the issue. In that case I would install a new inner, outer, and spring from Plowman's Carts (see site sponsors page). Once they wear out the inside mounting surface the keyway falls out and the clutch won't have any tension, the outer sheave just floats there on the shaft.

Sometimes there is considerable input shaft wear and those need to be replaced. Hopefully that's not the case.
That's good advice. My clutch puller tool comes in tomorrow and i'll take it a part and post all the pics. I have a video of how the secondary clutch is working, but it looks like video files are not an accepted format in this forum software. The inner sheave is wobbly.

Quick question. Once you compress the inner sheave down onto the spring, how can i keep that in place while i put the washer and the outer sheave back on? Using a C clamp to hold it in place doesn't allow for space to put the outer sheave on and tighten it with the nut. Any tips? I tried reading the sticky thread, but couldn't understand his process without pictures or a video.
Old 03-23-2021, 01:43 PM   #16
awilliam77
Not Yet Wild

I just uploaded the video to youtube. Here's how it's looking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VM2MUgVKOZU
Old 03-23-2021, 01:46 PM   #17
awilliam77
Not Yet Wild

and here's how it looks running:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m05YVviV-bg
Old 03-23-2021, 01:55 PM   #18
awilliam77
Not Yet Wild

Nevermind, I see the process. I can put a ratchet strap around the inner sheave and run it to the frame of the passenger side for support.
Old 03-23-2021, 04:15 PM   #19
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

The ratchet strap method works well. It almost looks like your inner sheave is bent?
slonomo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 10:35 AM   #20
Jammy
Getting Wild
Yamaha

I had the same issue on my G2. The inside of my sliding sheave was so worn out, the bimetalic bushing was almost completely worn thru and both grease seals were trashed.
My input shaft had 0.030 wear and needed replacing. I am in the middle of this repair right now. All parts from Plowman's.
Jammy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clutch, g16a
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha