lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-01-2022, 05:09 PM   #1
Felipe1183
Not Yet Wild

Default 2004 CC DS IQ - Bit off more than I can chew

Recently bought a 2004 CC DS IQ. It is making a high pitched whine when accelerating. I got under the cart to check the differential oil and found the case covered in oil. I am extremely new to golf carts, but it does not look normal. Any suggestions on how to resolve this? Can the high pitch sound be associated with that massive oil leak/build up? I am assuming I am going to have to take apart the rear end.

Thanks in advance!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image0.jpeg (141.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpeg image1.jpeg (132.3 KB, 0 views)
Felipe1183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-01-2022, 05:18 PM   #2
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: 2004 CC DS IQ - Bit off more than I can chew

That much oil outside the case isn’t a good sign for sure.

Clean it up really well and figure out where it’s leaking from.

I’d recommend removing the motor too and keep your fingers crossed hoping the inside of the motor isn’t full if oil and grime too. These motors make lots of mess inside on their own but you can blow it out well with just air. I can’t imagine the mess if you mix it with oil
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 05:30 PM   #3
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

That much leakage - the diff may be out of fluid which could make bad noises for sure.
Volt_Ampere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 06:04 PM   #4
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

It looks like the fluid came out of the vent plug. I wonder if someone filled it through the vent hole instead of the fill level plug hole.

Clean it up, pull the drain plug and see if anything comes out. If little or no oil comes out, there is a leak probably where the two halves meet, or the case is cracked.

If more than 20 ounces of fluid comes out, it was over filled and you may be ok.

Refill with SAE 30 motor oil for stock cart speeds. It holds around 27 ounces, but fill only until oil comes out of the fill plug.

Some say to use 80-90wt gear oil for modified speed carts. I don't think it matters.
Tom47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 07:42 PM   #5
Felipe1183
Not Yet Wild

Thanks! I have my work cut out for me tomorrow. I’ll keep you all posted.
Old 07-02-2022, 02:34 PM   #6
Felipe1183
Not Yet Wild

I got most of the leak cleaned up and found this (see attached pic). Cracked case or superficial? I have not pulled the drain plug yet. I will likely do that tomorrow and fill it back up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Case.jpeg (178.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-02-2022, 03:13 PM   #7
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

I wouldn’t worry about that. Looks like casting “cracks” to me. They all have them. It’s just marks from when the case was made they’re not really cracks.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 04:09 PM   #8
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Likely Just casting marks. I would suspect that the case was overfilled, or they used some kind of oil that didn’t have anti-foaming agents. All of that came out of the case vent and ran down the front.

The biggest thing will be to check for obvious metal in the fluid, and listen for any odd noises from the gears. These are generally pretty tough, so I would think it’s likely fine unless it was run completely out of oil.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 09:19 AM   #9
Felipe1183
Not Yet Wild

Thanks! About to get SAE30 to do the oil change. It’s my first time doing this. I believe I identified the correct plugs. They are pretty close together, correct?
Old 07-03-2022, 12:44 PM   #10
Felipe1183
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
Likely Just casting marks. I would suspect that the case was overfilled, or they used some kind of oil that didn’t have anti-foaming agents. All of that came out of the case vent and ran down the front.

The biggest thing will be to check for obvious metal in the fluid, and listen for any odd noises from the gears. These are generally pretty tough, so I would think it’s likely fine unless it was run completely out of oil.
I just filled it up. Little to no oil came out!

I noticed two things on the test ride.

1. The car still makes a high pitched whining sound when accelerating. Sounds like its winding up and then down when you let go of the accelerator.
2. When I went over a small speed hump, the car beeped and completely lost acceleration. I had to let go of the accelerator completely and press it down again to get it going.

Starting to think I paid way too much for this car.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car