lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-04-2022, 09:34 PM   #1
Nascarfastcar
Not Yet Wild

Default 1990 3pg engine cuts out when hot

I have a 90 3pg 2 stroke that I rebuilt about 2 years ago.
Just bearings and crank seals. Top end was good. Still showing 120psi.
The cart runs and starts perfectly but if you take it on a long drive the engine starts to big and loose power but will pick itself right back up if you keep on the throttle. I don't have to use the choke or anything.
Let it cool down it runs fine.
I'm suspecting a fuel issue like the pump or gas cap. The pump is original off another 90 I have. And the cap on the tank isnt the original one with the fuel gauge. Should I drill a small hole in it?
Also on this cart I never got around to doing a hei swap but instead I threw a old tractor coil in it. I'm also suspecting when the coil get shot it might be causing a issue.
Could I run a hei coil without swapping the ignitor and all that stuff? It's not like I can't do it but I just don't have the time for it.
Muffler was also bbqed 2 years ago. It probably wouldn't hurt to do it again but the cart has had limited run time since. Also running 128:1 premix
Nascarfastcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-05-2022, 12:15 PM   #2
Dabble Inn
Nincompoop Club Member

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1990 3pg engine cuts out when hot

The gas cap must be vented, maybe it's starving for fuel after running for a little while..

I really don't like the idea of a tractor coil either, maybe it's getting hot. These S/G can put out up to 15volts, I'd suggest putting a stock coil back on it... 128:1 premix is a great idea, but don't use premium high octane gas. Good ole 85-87 octane is what it wants.. Good Luck and let us know
Dabble Inn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 01:14 PM   #3
Nascarfastcar
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabble Inn View Post
The gas cap must be vented, maybe it's starving for fuel after running for a little while..

I really don't like the idea of a tractor coil either, maybe it's getting hot. These S/G can put out up to 15volts, I'd suggest putting a stock coil back on it... 128:1 premix is a great idea, but don't use premium high octane gas. Good ole 85-87 octane is what it wants.. Good Luck and let us know
I'm gonna drill a small hole in the cap. Never had luck with stock coils or aftermarkets. My other carts have hei coils but I was wondering if I can run a hei coil without swapping out the ignitor.
Nascarfastcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 01:25 PM   #4
Dabble Inn
Nincompoop Club Member

E-Z-GO

Someone else will have to chime in to help you with the hei thing, I haven't had to do one yet so don't know. But yeah vent the cap and run it.
Dabble Inn is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO