lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-05-2011, 08:48 AM   #1
langstonjones
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Upgrading to 2awg cables??

My cart is 2002 DS 36v v-glide resistor cart. Question is while upgrading cables besides the obvious big cables, are there some cables that typically get overlooked? I want to make sure I get them all. I am gonna use 2awg welding/locomotive cable just because I happen to 100ft or so of it laying around.

thanks
DLJ
langstonjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-05-2011, 09:47 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Upgrading to 2awg cables??

I would consider converting to solid state before I tried making cables for a resistor cart. I don't know that you can get terminals to connect #2 to the V-glide? Take a look at the limited space there....
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 10:59 AM   #3
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

SCOTTYB is correct and besides the resistors, nor contacts inside and outside a V glide unit are not made to handle the large cable connections. If you want a real update replace resistor bank with solid state controller and if you want to save funds add small electronic resistors on back of V glide, Or better yet convert to stock MCOR unit or Curtis PB-6 pedal speed control.
YES you need to replace ALL 6 guage cables with your HD cables. This includes motor, F&R control, batterys, and if possibel to resistors and V glide unit.
One Question the cable you are using is it high count multi strand ( 400-500 at least count ) copper?
OLD MEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 03:05 PM   #4
langstonjones
Gone Wild

Club Car

@ScottyB is there a good thread on converting this particular cart to the solid state? NOOB here and I pray every time I read one of these threads that I will find where someone has asked what an "MCOR" is so I don't have to be the one to look stupid. Dang, did I say that out loud? I will learn it eventually, but I just ain't there yet..

@Old Mec I was gonna used 4ga terminals. I was just gonna strip back some of the strands until I had a nice fit. Locomotive cable has finer/more strands than welding cable. We spec it out in our CT/X-Ray installs just to keep the electrician on his toes. Not to mention, they always pull a neutral when we don't require it so if at all possible we pull that one out for jumper cables and I guess now "cart" cables. I wasn't doing my "Tim Taylor" sounds when talking of using them, I was doing "my wife's gonna love me" dance when she finds out I don't have to buy this expensive cable

thanks for the help guys!! Ya'll are a lot less brutal than the geeks in the LINUX forums I deal with on occasion.
Old 03-05-2011, 04:41 PM   #5
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

NO QUESTION ASKED IS STUPID ONLY IF QUESTION IS NOT ASKED?
May I say that cutting strands off cable and smaller cable ends is going to cut amp availablity back to smaller size cable, by how much is unknown? Yes its cheaper than new cable so option is yours? I always want my headquarters happy ESPECIALLY AFTER ALMOST 61 YEARS, 5 girl and 1 boy later?
How much extra cable is available maybe for sale? Always looking for sourses?
OH YES MCOR is a modern pedal control for solid state carts that with stock parts you can convert your existing pedal linkage to modern easily available parts if needed later?
Old 03-05-2011, 06:08 PM   #6
langstonjones
Gone Wild

Club Car

Thanks for the info OLD MEC!! Yeah I know that cutting conductors isn't fashionably
correct, but you won't encounter much loss if no one saw you doing it. I would definitely make sure everything was tinned real well. The cart has plenty of speed as it is for the wife cruising around with every kid in the hood hanging on. It just doesn't have the torque, so that is what I would really like to accomplish with this cart.

thanks again
Old 03-05-2011, 06:55 PM   #7
langstonjones
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD MEC View Post
NO QUESTION ASKED IS STUPID ONLY IF QUESTION IS NOT ASKED?
May I say that cutting strands off cable and smaller cable ends is going to cut amp availablity back to smaller size cable, by how much is unknown? Yes its cheaper than new cable so option is yours? I always want my headquarters happy ESPECIALLY AFTER ALMOST 61 YEARS, 5 girl and 1 boy later?
How much extra cable is available maybe for sale? Always looking for sourses?
OH YES MCOR is a modern pedal control for solid state carts that with stock parts you can convert your existing pedal linkage to modern easily available parts if needed later?
OLD MEC I will take a look out in the shed and see what I've got on cable. I'm always up for a little horse trading
Old 03-06-2011, 09:03 AM   #8
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

A super charged torque and speed effect can be gotten by converting to 48 volts using your existing motor ( much heavier windings and field coil material ), but of course requires dumping the resistor set up.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car