lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-22-2011, 02:57 PM   #1
pggroves
steeplejack x

E-Z-GO

Default Battery Life

I have a TD E451 tug here at the mill. We use it to transfer steel to the tube mills. Usually tows 10-20k lbs at a time on a custom made cart. The hydraulics on the cart are powered by the 24v TD battery.

This TD had the original 12-100-13 24v battery. That battery weighs in around 1200 lbs. and had a mfr. date of 6-1991. Yes, 1991. That's not a typo.

I just replaced the battery yesterday after 20 years of service. Got a bigger one! A 12-125-13 about a year or so old and around 1400 lbs....

So, point being....All the talk on this board about maintaining FLA batteries ain't just talk. If you take care of them, you'll get your money's worth. And then some!!! For the record, this one rarely saw a DOD greater than 70%. Maintained weekly and charged daily.

Of course your results may vary!!!

Here she is, the ugly b**ch. With her new(er) battery. But she earns her keep every day.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TD_E451.jpg (138.4 KB, 28 views)
pggroves is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-22-2011, 03:15 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Battery Life

That is one hell of a battery

Thanks for posting that up, now maybe some of the members won't be shy about recharging often

I hate to pay for that baby.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 08:13 AM   #3
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post

Thanks for posting that up, now maybe some of the members won't be shy about recharging often

I have six 2002 Exide batteries that I run the crap out of. They are on their last legs, but I have gotten my money's worth out of them. Care and charging is worth the effort.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 09:33 AM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by pggroves View Post
~~~~~~ So, point being....All the talk on this board about maintaining FLA batteries ain't just talk. If you take care of them, you'll get your money's worth. And then some!!! For the record, this one rarely saw a DOD greater than 70%. Maintained weekly and charged daily. ~~~~~~~
Either the description of how far the long lasting battery was routinely discharged is somewhat amiss, or the attached chart is.

I suspect this amazing battery rarely saw a DOD (Depth of Discharge) greater than 30%, which equates to a SoC (State of Charge) of 70%.

Sorry to nitpick, but someone might have erroneously gotten the idea it was good to deeply discharge their FLA (Flooded Lead Acid) batteries before recharging when just the opposite is true.

Great empirical information, thanks for sharing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg battery life vs depth of discharge.jpg (122.0 KB, 6 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 03:34 PM   #5
pggroves
steeplejack x

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
Either the description of how far the long lasting battery was routinely discharged is somewhat amiss, or the attached chart is.

I suspect this amazing battery rarely saw a DOD (Depth of Discharge) greater than 30%, which equates to a SoC (State of Charge) of 70%.

Sorry to nitpick, but someone might have erroneously gotten the idea it was good to deeply discharge their FLA (Flooded Lead Acid) batteries before recharging when just the opposite is true.

Great empirical information, thanks for sharing.
Thanks for catching the typo.
Old 10-24-2011, 03:34 PM   #6
pggroves
steeplejack x

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post

I didn't enjoy it, for sure....
Old 10-24-2011, 04:34 PM   #7
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

If you had the room, a series-parallel array of 24 six volt batteries (six parallel sets of four T-105's in series) would have been about $100 cheaper (MSRP) and provided about 170AH (@ 20hr rate) more capacity.

Of course the savings is offset by the cost of set of 28 custom 00ga cables from ScottyB

Kidding aside, are you following a break-in procedure of some kind?
Just curious.
John
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 05:48 PM   #8
pggroves
steeplejack x

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
If you had the room, a series-parallel array of 24 six volt batteries (six parallel sets of four T-105's in series) would have been about $100 cheaper (MSRP) and provided about 170AH (@ 20hr rate) more capacity.

Of course the savings is offset by the cost of set of 28 custom 00ga cables from ScottyB

Kidding aside, are you following a break-in procedure of some kind?
Just curious.
John
It's a one year old (+/-) used battery. Prob a bit late to break in so we'll just continue doing the same procedures as we did on the last one....
Old 10-26-2011, 07:37 PM   #9
ezgokid
resident idiot

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by pggroves View Post
I have a TD E451 tug here at the mill. We use it to transfer steel to the tube mills. Usually tows 10-20k lbs at a time on a custom made cart. The hydraulics on the cart are powered by the 24v TD battery.

This TD had the original 12-100-13 24v battery. That battery weighs in around 1200 lbs. and had a mfr. date of 6-1991. Yes, 1991. That's not a typo.

I just replaced the battery yesterday after 20 years of service. Got a bigger one! A 12-125-13 about a year or so old and around 1400 lbs....

So, point being....All the talk on this board about maintaining FLA batteries ain't just talk. If you take care of them, you'll get your money's worth. And then some!!! For the record, this one rarely saw a DOD greater than 70%. Maintained weekly and charged daily.

Of course your results may vary!!!

Here she is, the ugly b**ch. With her new(er) battery. But she earns her keep every day.
If you don't mind me asking, what's a thing like that go for?
ezgokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 02:39 PM   #10
pggroves
steeplejack x

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezgokid View Post
If you don't mind me asking, what's a thing like that go for?
Flat out with a load it goes about 3-4 mph.

Or are you asking the cost of a new battery?
Or are you asking the cost of the tug?
Or are you asking the cost of the transfer cart?
Or are you asking the cost of the steel on the transfer cart?

And why are you calling it a "thing?"

Taylor Dunn's have feelings too ya' know. It's not like it's a Yamaha or a Club Car!

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO