lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-06-2012, 12:40 PM   #1
Bonehead
Not Yet Wild

Default Battery refurbish 36V

My batteries all charge to 6+ volts, but only last a few hours. I wanted to get another year out of them so I cleaned all the terminals and cable ends with baking soda and water and drained the acid out of the batteries and filled with the Epsom Salt and distillers water mixture. I hooked my charger up and it only charged for about 90 minutes before cutting off and cart will not move! Do I need to get a battery charger and charge each battery individually? I don't have a volt meter handy now to see how much they are charged.

Jody
Bonehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-06-2012, 01:42 PM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Battery refurbish 36V

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonehead View Post
..............drained the acid out of the batteries and filled with the Epsom Salt and distillers water mixture..................
Without the sulfuric acid, you no longer have batteries.

I don't know what putting them on charge while filled with an Epsom Salts solution did to the plates, but only thing that can be done at this point is drain it out, rinse with distilled water, drain that out and refill with fresh battery acid from your local auto parts store.

I'd only try that with just two of the carcasses.
Connect them in series and charge them with a 12V charger to see if it is worth the effort and expense to do it to all of what used to be batteries.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 02:31 PM   #3
lithoman
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

What was the epsom salts supposed to do?
lithoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 03:26 PM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by lithoman View Post
What was the epsom salts supposed to do?
It works pretty well for constipation and sore muscles in humans, but I believe the only thing that ought to be added to a cart battery is distilled water.

It allegedly causes some of the softer lead sulfate to slough off the plates.
Problem is that the sloughed off conductive material can also short out the cells.

I think just following the new battery break-in procedure is safer and get similar results on poorly maintained batteries.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 04:00 PM   #5
lithoman
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

[QUOTE=JohnnieB;723054]It works pretty well for constipation and sore muscles in humans,QUOTE]

ty
lithoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 04:08 PM   #6
Bonehead
Not Yet Wild

Thanks, after reading instructions again I see that I should have only drained a little acid out and I drained it all! I'll try adding some acid and testing one. If they're ruined, I needed new ones anyway!

Jody
Bonehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO