lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-11-2012, 12:02 AM   #1
lewisrk
Not Yet Wild

Default Make Your Own HD Cables From Residential Wiring

From what I have read the two things that are bad about using THHN stranded 4 ga house wiring to make your own cables is that it is stiffer and is not tinned for corrosion. There is even a concern about corrosion getting under shrink tubing at the crimped joint. See what you think about my approach to solving these various corrosion problem. Numbered steps go with pictures in order.

1) Strip wire, use heavy duty closed end tinned electrical connector.
2) Put dielectric grease on the bare copper wire, and crimp it.
3) Put painters tape over the end of the connector.
4) Dip twice in liquid electrical tape or plastic dip for tool handles.
5) Cut carefully around edge of tape and pull it off exposing connnector.

The grease is to help seal the crimped joint (no air or moisture inside) and the dipped plastic is a tighter seal for air and moisture than shrink tubing.

I will see over time whether this method works. At $.89 a foot for the cable, a can of plastic dip and tube of grease you are ready to go.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0188.jpg (25.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0182.jpg (57.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0183.jpg (39.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0185.jpg (37.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0189.jpg (38.1 KB, 0 views)
lewisrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-11-2012, 05:29 AM   #2
essness
Not your usual outlaw

Yamaha

Default Re: Make Your Own HD Cables From Residential Wiring

I'm not a sparky guy and I give ya credit for trying something new. But I think strand count is gonna have some weight in this. I'm not sure how this wire is going to carry the current and dissipate any heat? The amps required to run a cart are significantly higher than you would have in any home electrical systems. I'm affraid that under mildly agressive use, your insulation may just melt?
I'll let the smart people chime in on it.
essness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 06:30 AM   #3
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Do NOT use residential supply wire in a golf cart. It cannot tolerate the heat or the acidic environment of a cart. 4g welding cable is $1.13/ft. from weldingsupply.com if you want to make them yourself (assuming you have the skills required).
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 09:08 AM   #4
sonicj
Gone Wild

Club Car

THHN is acid resistant, moisture resistant, and rated up to like 200°. Strand count is irrelevant with respect to DC current-carrying capacity. As long as you don't mind the added stiffness, I see no cause for concern.
-sj
sonicj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 11:34 AM   #5
89GatorClub
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicj View Post
THHN is acid resistant, moisture resistant, and rated up to like 200°. Strand count is irrelevant with respect to DC current-carrying capacity. As long as you don't mind the added stiffness, I see no cause for concern.
-sj
100% true Size of the wire not thread count tells you what amperage the wire can take.....Wire doesn't know the difference between DC and AC amperage. Thread count will give you less resistance which equals better current flow.
89GatorClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 11:52 AM   #6
greg-g
Gone Wild

Where is Bruce
greg-g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 12:06 PM   #7
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

THHN building wire has several main distinctions compared to other building wire products. THHN uses a thinner PVC insulation which is a key factor in terms of its electrical properties. This thinner insulation can often lead to a current leakage and even a breakdown during chemical or environmental exposure. The PVC insulation in THHN also creates a toxic smoke when burned therefore making it undesireable in certain applications.
Old 05-11-2012, 12:13 PM   #8
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

is it that time of year already.................don,t we go over this at least 2 times every year? ........................................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 12:44 PM   #9
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowman View Post
is it that time of year already.................don,t we go over this at least 2 times every year? ........................................
Might even be quarterly!
simple man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 03:25 PM   #10
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowman View Post
Yes, Tom, we do, and every time some sliderule totin' pocket protector engineer wannabe debates the subject based on numbers in a chart instead of real world experiences. Books NEVER have all the answers, and I certainly don't either, but one thing I do know is that welding cable is the BEST material to rewire a sparky cart with.

Tags
4 ga, house, thhn
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car