lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-11-2012, 04:53 PM   #1
nnmsgst
Gone Wild

Default 2006 Precedent Hesitation/Diminishing power (Minneapolis Area)

Hello,

I've sent a couple of emails to forum members regarding this issue today, but I need some guidance (and a repair person if you're in the Minneapolis, Saint Paul, Western Wisconsin metro).

My 2006 Precedent is hesitating and shows diminishing power while going uphill. I understand it's going to power down slightly, but this is more than normal. I drive exclusively on smooth gravel trails and streets around my house – it’s a 4 seater that we use for going up and down a large hill to my beach. It seems as though I have less power this year than ever, and once in a while the cart slows down for a few seconds and seems like it stalls, but recovers without actually stopping. I had the batteries tested today (6-8 volt batteries) and they all tested to be good. 5 of the 6 batteries are exactly one year old, but 6 all show good voltage and when the fluid was checked they all passed.

I know nothing about electric motors, but with a little advice I'm sure I can do some basic troubleshooting and repair. UNLESS there is someone in the twin Cities area who works on Club Cars and wants some side work.

Thank you
nnmsgst is online now   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-11-2012, 05:30 PM   #2
erict
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 2006 Precedent Hesitation/Diminishing power (Minneapolis Area)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nnmsgst View Post
Hello,

I've sent a couple of emails to forum members regarding this issue today, but I need some guidance (and a repair person if you're in the Minneapolis, Saint Paul, Western Wisconsin metro).

My 2006 Precedent is hesitating and shows diminishing power while going uphill. I understand it's going to power down slightly, but this is more than normal. I drive exclusively on smooth gravel trails and streets around my house – it’s a 4 seater that we use for going up and down a large hill to my beach. It seems as though I have less power this year than ever, and once in a while the cart slows down for a few seconds and seems like it stalls, but recovers without actually stopping. I had the batteries tested today (6-8 volt batteries) and they all tested to be good. 5 of the 6 batteries are exactly one year old, but 6 all show good voltage and when the fluid was checked they all passed.

I know nothing about electric motors, but with a little advice I'm sure I can do some basic troubleshooting and repair. UNLESS there is someone in the twin Cities area who works on Club Cars and wants some side work.

Thank you
I wonder if the 6th battery is your weak link. To me it sounds like they or one or two batteries are failing under a load. It only takes one weak battery to drag the whole pack down. Have you load tested them? Could also possibly be a speed sensor.
erict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 06:36 PM   #3
Hoof Hearted
Gone Wild

+1 for the above........

It seems this is one of the most often asked questions here and even though it is a PITA to load test, isolate, and check every battery, nine times out of ten this is the culprit!
Hoof Hearted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 06:48 PM   #4
nnmsgst
Gone Wild

Thanks for the responses.

I should have added that I did the speed sensor test in which I put the cart into drive and pushed it - and I it worked as designed (resisted my pushing and sounded the alarm) so I guess that initially rules out a speed sensor issue

How would I test the voltage under load of the individual batteries, and then subsequently of the entire system? Which type of voltage meter would you suggest using (maybe an amazon link).

Thanks again.
Old 06-11-2012, 06:55 PM   #5
Hoof Hearted
Gone Wild

Best way is to put it on a trailer and take it to the Club Car dealer...........they should do all the testing for free since they will probably be selling you a battery (or a whole set). If that don't float yer boat look at a portable (hand held) load tester.
see here:

http://www.amazon.com

Type battery load tester in the search window
Old 06-11-2012, 07:03 PM   #6
nnmsgst
Gone Wild

Thanks... but that link didn't work for some reason. Would I be able to connect to each individual battery and get an accurate measurement even though they are connected?
Old 06-11-2012, 07:10 PM   #7
erict
Gone Wild

Club Car

You can also use a digital multi meter and banana clips on the ends. Clamp it to your battery pack and route the wire leads so you can put the seat back down and take it for a spin and record the voltage drop. I would do this test after a full charge. You can also do this with each battery individually and you don't have to disconnect any of them when performing this test.
erict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 07:11 PM   #8
Hoof Hearted
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by nnmsgst View Post
Thanks... but that link didn't work for some reason. Would I be able to connect to each individual battery and get an accurate measurement even though they are connected?
I fixed it so reread my post above.......
Old 06-12-2012, 06:46 AM   #9
Stevegrmich
Medicare Recipient
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoof Hearted View Post
I fixed it so reread my post above.......
. . link still broken . . .
Stevegrmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 09:24 AM   #10
nnmsgst
Gone Wild

Load testers are apparently designed to test 6 and 12 volt battteries only - I have 8 volt battereis, so I bought this multi tester:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000EVYGZA/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000EVYGZA/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

My plan is to charge the cart fully, test all batteries and the pack after fully charged and record voltages, and then test the pack and individual batteries while going uphill and report back to the experts such as yourselves and Scotty B. Is this what I should be doing?

Tags
battery, hesitatation, power
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car