lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-06-2014, 07:37 PM   #1
beausun
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default IGNITION COIL possible short ?

Hi I have a 1997 gas Yamaha utility G11A 301 engine. my question is the main fuse 30 amp keeps burning out when i try to start the engine I have searched for possible breaks or bare wires and everything seems fine.

however if i disconnect the 2 terminal connector from the IGNITION COIL and then turn the engine over the fuse does not burn out and engine starts but will not shut off untill i reconect the wiring to ignition coil i dont see how it can start i am baffled can someone please help with this not sure if i need to replace coil or not. Thanks for any help. :)
beausun is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-07-2014, 09:42 AM   #2
beausun
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: IGNITION COIL possible short ?

I should also mention that the 30 amp fuse is a ground. also the solenoid had recently been replaced with a Echlin st80 Switch Terminals : 4. from napa.
its not original solenoid but its what was on it before and lasted many years i hope this all helps thanks.
Old 02-07-2014, 02:08 PM   #3
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I would be willing to try to help you, but am at a loss trying to find a wiring diagram for your cart. I thought the diagram for my G16 might be the same, but it doesn't have a 30 amp fuse anywhere!! If you can come up with a wiring diagram for your cart (would be a good thing for you to have also !), I would be happy to try to help sort out your problem. RAY
bigstik40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 03:00 PM   #4
beausun
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Hi Ray, I am a noob at this lol. i have a wiring diagram but dont know how to show it here. how do i add the pic here Thanks. George
Old 02-07-2014, 04:05 PM   #5
beausun
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

ok i looked at G16 wiring diagram it is same as mine . even my diagram does not show the 30 amp fuse only the 10 amp fuse. it is factory for sure and not added dont no why it does not show it but it is just below the solenoid in main harness inside a black rubber boot. and like i said if i disconnect 2 wire conecter going to pickup fuse will not blow, i removed plastic shield to allow access to pickup i checked wires there no bare spots. I dont know what to do next replace pickup or not as i said i am noob with this lol Thanks for the help am very grateful . also the tag on chassis says manufactured in 1998 model G11A but engine code is 1997.

Last edited by beausun; 02-07-2014 at 04:07 PM.. Reason: adding more info
Old 02-07-2014, 04:32 PM   #6
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

With the fuse blown maybe test for high resistance in the ground wire to chassis.
???
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 04:51 PM   #7
beausun
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Thanks don't laugh but how do i do that i am not that savy .
Old 02-07-2014, 10:34 PM   #8
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Took a quick look at your problem and I have a couple comments to begin:
1. Disconnecting the connector to ignition should have no bearing on fuse blowing as there should be no battery current flow into the ignition circuit. Those 2 wires allow the "stop" relay to ground the ignition circuit when the key is turned off and the ignition is totally self contained (no connection to battery circuit).

2. It appears that somewhere along the line a fuse blowing problem on your cart was "corrected" by installing a higher (30 amp) rated fuse (should be 10 Amp). Many times fuse blowing on these carts is caused by adding battery operated accessories and connecting the negative return to the cart frame ground. The correct way to add battery operated accessories on these carts is to connect the accessory negative return directly to the battery negative and the accessory positive directly to the battery positive. The added accessory then should have it's own switch and fuse in the positive supply.

I would say start by checking if you have any incorrectly added accessories. With the ignition connected does the fuse blow when the key switch is first turned on or when you depress the accelerator to "go". Let me know what you find - RAY

P.S. - I don't think your ignition coil is bad and causing your problem.

Last edited by bigstik40; 02-07-2014 at 10:41 PM.. Reason: added P.S.
Old 02-08-2014, 10:49 AM   #9
beausun
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Hi Ray all good points , the only after market item on the cart is headlights and they are wired as you mentioned directly to battery.

when I turn key to on position there is no problem fuse does not blow. when i step on the acelerater engine turns over and just when it sounds like its going to start fuse pops.

again i have 2 inline fuses a 10 amp and a 30 amp I don't know why it does not show it in my owners manual , but the question of fuse size is a good 1 if it is not listed there is no way of knowing the proper fuse size . but I will try using a 10 amp fuse when I get problem solved. once again I am grateful for all the help I can get.
George

P.S DOOmsman sugested testing resistance in ground to chassis i have a multimeter but not sure where to put probes and if its with battery connected or not.
Old 02-08-2014, 07:52 PM   #10
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Ok, now this does get confusing !! I assumed that the 10 Amp fuse had been replaced with a 30 Amp. You say that you have a 10 AND a 30 Amp in your wiring AND it all looks like factory wiring. Maybe your next step should be to trace all the wires in the 30 Amp circuit to see where it connects. You could then superimpose that wiring into your existing wiring diagram to see what it's purpose is. If you do that, somewhere along the line you may bump into the problem and also you will now have enough information to troubleshoot the circuit. It appears that Yamaha may have added some wiring without documenting it in a wiring diagram. Also strange that unplugging the ignition wire cures the 30 Amp fuse blowing - hard to explain. Maybe the added wiring somehow ties in there. Let me know what you find. - RAY
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha