lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-04-2014, 03:06 PM   #1
roundtable2
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default 1991 marathon two stroke

1991 ezgo marathon 2.jpg

1991 ezgo marathon.jpg

First cart project plan to get vegas carts 460cc and two clutches, possible stretch have not decided yet and 4" lift.
Looking at wiring I think this was set up to run two stroke in one direction and then reverse switch would run motor in opposite direction, not sure but I dont see how else you can have reverse because differential has no shift lever, It does have lever but I think that is somekind of governor.
If need be I will fabricate jack shafts that rotate two meshed gears and sprocket welded to meshed gear that will rotate in reverse and sprocket attached too one hub with chain then when reverse switch actuated kills motor then small electric motor attached to jack shaft will provide slow moving reverse, do not need high speed in reverse anyway. more to come as progress continues.
roundtable2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-06-2014, 06:51 PM   #2
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Default Re: 1991 marathon two stroke

Yes the 2 strokes run backwards for reverse, you have to get a 4 stroke trans in there if you want it to work the normal way. Sounds like a nice project! I thought of running a starter motor on a belt like a lawn deck belt you pull tight to engage, for reverse, in the case I try to build one that way.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 11:51 AM   #3
roundtable2
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 1991 marathon two stroke

Thanks for verification , one other question do two stroke diffs. have higher ratios because of higher r.p.m. ? I would hate to spend money on 4 stroke set-up and then find out i can only 8 m.p.h., I will check my diff. what is an accepatable 4 stroke ratio that tops out at around 20 m.p.h. ? maybe 12" tires ?
roundtable2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 12:39 AM   #4
natew121
Gone Wild

Thumbs up Re: 1991 marathon two stroke

I did this exact swap on my marathon which on 22" tires does 30 mph with me by my self and a mildly modded gx390 . Need the rear 4 stroke axle and diff. New clutches on both,4 stroke shifter setup .and you'll need to life the cart a good bit to clear the engine..or a custom engine mounting bracket .tried every which way you could to use the stock one its not possible. With the 4stroke rear you get reverse
natew121 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1991 marathon, 460cc, clone, restoration
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps