lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-07-2022, 11:15 AM   #1
idealtrucks
Not Yet Wild

Default G16 rod bolt over torqued

I put my engine back together and now I realized I over tightened the rod bolts. I was reading the specs for the wrong engine. Mine should have been 14ftlbs. I was trying for 28. I probably got them to low 20s or so and felt like it was getting too tight. Beam wrench. I stopped and put it together and the realized later my mistake. Think I'll be ok?
idealtrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-07-2022, 11:24 AM   #2
Leon willis
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: G16 rod bolt over torqued

Yes it’s fine the Japanese know that us Americans don’t like to read instructions and just wing it so they build there motors lose so it’s hard for us to mess it up but to be realistic it will be fine like my ezgo said to torque the head bolts to 17 pound feet a buddy told me to go to 20 so I did it was just fine so I wouldn’t lose sleep over it
Leon willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 01:48 PM   #3
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

I’d take it back apart and double check it. That’s a steel bolt going into an aluminum rod and rod cap. Too tight can easily distort it, not to mention I’m surprised you didn’t rip the threads out of the rod trying. There’s a lot of stress up and down on a connecting rod at several thousand RPM. Recipe for disaster if you ask me.

I’m not one for being picky for torque and torques every nut and bolt. But there are some (head bolts, rod caps, etc. basically anything inside the engine) that are critical fasteners and I’d never skimp on properly torquing those kind of fasteners. It may run fine now but long term I’m certain there can be negative effects or shortened lifespan of the motor and definitely an increased possibility something will fail catastrophically.

The Yamaha engineers know better than we and they specify a torque spec for a reason.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 02:28 PM   #4
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

You might want to look at Jody Powell from ARC racing youtube video on rod bolt torquing. He shows that you really have to overdo it a great deal to break rod bolts. I don't know if anything would be gained by disassembly UNLESS you used some new rod bolts. IF you distorted the rod by over torquing again disassembly won't undo that. IMHO unless you are going to replace the rod and the bolts I don't see any advantage to disassembly. One other note here the G 16 has an aluminum rod with no bearing shells in it. Again if it is not binding on the crank the softer rod is what will wear in as it is.
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha