lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-08-2022, 11:41 AM   #1
luke611@mtelco.net
Not Yet Wild

Default Steering wheel stuck

I have what I'm told is a 1979 Marathon. I've been trying to remove the steering wheel to align it, and am having no luck. WD-40, a bearing puller, and a hammer have given me no luck. I'm reading that some models have a set screw below the wheel to help hold it.
That research was this morning, and I'm at work, so I can't look right now.
Any tips/tricks?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
luke611@mtelco.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-10-2022, 09:07 PM   #2
Cobra,1
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Steering wheel stuck

I would keep soaking with bp blaster. Keep pressure on the puller and give it a few blows with a hammer till it decides to pop free.
Just keep as much tension as possible on puller when smacking steering colum with hammer. Careful to not damage threads at top of steering shaft with hammer.
I usually thread nut part way on and hit that with hammer or use piece of brass between hammer and shaft or use dead blow hammer on shaft to not damage threads.
Keep soaking it will eventually come loose
Cobra,1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 06:25 AM   #3
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

Worse case scenario I just end up removing the shaft from the steering box and pull it out the steering column and just replace the whole thing and put whatever wheel the customer wants.

We don't have people worried about the wheel being perfectly straight, but tons want custom wheels and I've dealt with my share of seized ones and some just won't come off no matter what you do.
nickdalzell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 06:37 AM   #4
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

Just remove the whole column, place the wheel on your knees and with the nut loosened give the nut a whack and it usually comes right off. It has never failed for me yet!
Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 06:59 AM   #5
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

Usually when they're that seized where I have to pull the column shaft out the wheel is too far gone to be worried about saving. We're talking barn find carts from the 1980s level.
nickdalzell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO