lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-03-2021, 08:51 PM   #191
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Default Re: FYI - ERIC charging algorithm and battery watering

Haven’t heard of Powertron Batteries before, but thanks for sharing the info you have found.
It seems to me a lot of the algorithms are very similar or similar enough that they should work for many different batteries. But some batteries are very picky about charging and really do need the specific algorithm that their manufacturer calls for to charge properly.
The bulk charge, absorption, and finish charge voltage and amperage are key to proper charging, and even being off by 0.05vpc can make the difference.
Many people here have used the #3 algorithm for several years, and it seems to be fine.

The stock Club Car branded DeltaQ charger usually comes with #31 or #256, both of which are too aggressive for Trojan batteries and will boil them dry in a matter of weeks. What the exact difference is between those to algorithms I don’t think anybody here has figured out.
So far only a very few people here have had problems with updating the charge algorithm on the factory Club Car branded charger. Those were related to firmware issues. Majority of people can update just fine.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-18-2021, 10:47 AM   #192
Pelican24
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by inmanlanier View Post
New battery style and some questions.

First an answer - the 188 profile is from Club Car for the Trojan T875s. they emailed me the zip file if anyone wants it.

They sent me that because I just got a 2014 CC precedent with new batteries - Powertron P8000 (made by Trojan). They are not quite as good as the T875s or even the Duracells. Mine have 20Hr rating of 160AH vs. the T875s of 170AH (Duracells 165). Club Car did not have info on the Powertrons, but since Trojan makes them, they sent me the 188 profile since that's what they use with eth T875s.

I've called Trojan twice and left messages, as well as emailed them for Powertron to send me algorithm data. I'm over a week now with no reply. I'll try again Monday and not be quite as polite.

My Club Car Eric (Delta-IQ) charger has the original algorithm 31 in it. It finishes the charge around 55.5V. There is some boil going on - but not 'mist' per se (you can smell the gas). the water is at the low indicator level first check (have no trend data). After some time unplugged but not run, the battery settles in around 50.2 to 50.5V before use.

Seeing all the above, it appears the consensus of the more knowledgeable ones is that the profile is a function of the AH rating of the batteries. If so, does anyone have a non T875 battery with a rating similar to mine and a known proper algorithm to use?

Lastly, does anyone have a graph about what a typical charge profile looks like?

Thanks in advance for any answers.
New member here. Have the same situation. Factory algorithm #256 overcharging Powertron 8000s. They require water every 2 weeks. Just switched to #3 but sounds like #188 is the best option.

Would appreciate it if you could send / download that algorithm. Thanks.
Pelican24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 03:40 PM   #193
jmdonward
Not Yet Wild

I have Trojan 875's on my Onward HP. I switched to algorithm #1 and that instantly stopped the excessive water consumption. I might add 1 cup per month now vs. 1 gallon on algorithm 188.

I have noticed however if the cart sits a couple days, hooked up to the charger, the battery level is only at 80% when I unplug it. Any thoughts why that might be? It was always 100% no matter how long it sat hooked up on alg 188.

I pulled the data and compared algorithms 1 to 188. Aside from longer charge times, the only noticeable difference is the end of charge voltage was 67.5 - 69 on agl 188, and 62.9 - 63.9 on alg 1.

Thanks in advance for any insight any of you have.
jmdonward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 12:41 PM   #194
inmanlanier
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Pelican 24 - sorry for my delayed reply. I just sent you a PM. If you send me your email address I'll send the charging profile.
inmanlanier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 12:44 PM   #195
inmanlanier
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmdonward View Post
I pulled the data and compared algorithms 1 to 188. Aside from longer charge times, the only noticeable difference is the end of charge voltage was 67.5 - 69 on agl 188, and 62.9 - 63.9 on alg 1.
Interesting info on the comparison of the finish voltages. I would guess that the 188 is why you need to add more water. I am curious if adding water periodically is bad, or if not adding water much is good. I would imagine if you call Trojan (be persistent) and ask them - they can tell you what the finish voltage should be for the 875s. If you don't mind doing that and letting us know, it would be appreciated.
inmanlanier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 09:17 AM   #196
Whitaker
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I just came across this thread since beginning a search for information after having a T875 explode in my new 2021 Club Car Onward 48v HP AC drive.
Does anyone know if algorithm #3 is still recommended for new CC ERIC chargers? T875 batteries?
I haven't checked what software version my ERIC charger is running, or what algorithm it's programed with, doing that today.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Whitaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 01:20 PM   #197
Bobbob
Gone Wild

Club Car

I follow these forums and as far as I know algorithm #3 is the recommended one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Bobbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 04:32 PM   #198
justcruisin
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Hello,

Does anyone have the software update for ERIC mentioned here?

I tried loading algo 71 but my ERIC just flashes the orange triangle.

Thanks
justcruisin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 07:24 AM   #199
hardhouseinc
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by justcruisin View Post
Hello,

Does anyone have the software update for ERIC mentioned here?

I tried loading algo 71 but my ERIC just flashes the orange triangle.

Thanks
Bumping this to see if more posts will come in and try and help

I have the latest firmware they published for the older ERIC CC model Part# 940-0008 and version 4.3.7.264 software. It fixed my problem on the older
model charger not loading ALGO 62 now it loads all no issues. be aware this charger does not have the connections to do temp compensated algorithms. Each may start at a different temp. Most are from 25C.
hardhouseinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 04:59 PM   #200
etniesnh
Not Yet Wild

1st timer:
Setup: I have 80 CC carts with a total of 480 Trojan T-875 batteries w/ERIC chargers (yep, a golf course) Watering and other maintenance is constant, each cart is touched once every 4 weeks, if not more frequently.

Question: Would using Alg #1 on Non-Temp Compensated Trojan T-875's cause damage or exceptional wear to the batteries? (DeltaQ's info states Alg #1 for Temp Comp and Alg#3 Non-temp Comp.) We have had these 480 batteries for less than 3 years and more than 15% won't hold a charge or have exploded.
etniesnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car