lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO > Lithium EZGO

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-09-2020, 10:48 AM   #1
Denzone
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Lithium upgrade???

Okay, I have been thinking about a lithium upgrade for some time, but don't have the time to actually build a new pack and charging system, so looking into any drop-in systems there are. I know two big names I have found in my research are Allied and Dakota. They have two different types of systems, but both appear to be designed to be able to drop in and not have major modifications. I also do understand a new charger would need to be purchased so not too terribly worried about that.

Allied batteries are the size of the batteries currently, but each battery is 48 volts at 30 AH so, in reading their recommendations with my extended cart, I would need at a minimum of 3 batteries to be 48 v @ 90 AH.

Dakota batteries are the size of 12-volt batteries so slight modifications will need to be done, but the batteries are 100 AH. I would the kit would be 4 batteries for 48-volts @ 100 AH.

I have been reading about them, but of course, my mind gets muddied. Just asking for other opinions. This is not an immediate purchase as my current battery pack is still fine, just for the future.

And of course any other suggestions are welcome.
Denzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-09-2020, 06:35 PM   #2
Witherel
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Lithium upgrade???

Just yesterday I placed an order from Allied for the 48v 30ah x 4 setup. The batteries connect in parallel and will be 120ah. Hoping this is plenty for cruising several miles up and down Ocean Blvd. I have a 2015 EZGO TXT extended with the factory motor and controller. It is lifted with larger tires. My top speed using lead acid is 23mph and the distance used to be about 15mi, but last trip the batteries nearly dead after 5mi. I will be installing the lithium in a couple weeks and the reported range is listed at 60mi, but with my setup, I’d be happy with half of that. I will post results. What’s nice about the Allied setup is I can add up to 2 more batteries and should increase range to 90 miles, but I really don’t think I am going to need it. Like I said, I will be happy with 30mi and a consistent top end speed of 23 or so. Fingers crossed.
Witherel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 09:13 PM   #3
dougs_huntingcart
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witherel View Post
Just yesterday I placed an order from Allied for the 48v 30ah x 4 setup. The batteries connect in parallel and will be 120ah. Hoping this is plenty for cruising several miles up and down Ocean Blvd. I have a 2015 EZGO TXT extended with the factory motor and controller. It is lifted with larger tires. My top speed using lead acid is 23mph and the distance used to be about 15mi, but last trip the batteries nearly dead after 5mi. I will be installing the lithium in a couple weeks and the reported range is listed at 60mi, but with my setup, I’d be happy with half of that. I will post results. What’s nice about the Allied setup is I can add up to 2 more batteries and should increase range to 90 miles, but I really don’t think I am going to need it. Like I said, I will be happy with 30mi and a consistent top end speed of 23 or so. Fingers crossed.
I was looking at the allied product today. So you're doing the 120AH setup. Please report back. I have a ezgo shuttle that will need batteries within a year.
dougs_huntingcart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 02:02 PM   #4
Lightning8U
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Sounds like a nice setup. Can you let us know what this set up costs you? Did you look at or compare any of the other lithium options? Thanks!

Quote:
Lightning8U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 03:28 PM   #5
Witherel
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

I will definitely update the forum on the install, mileage range, etc. The delivery comes tomorrow and install in a couple weeks. I did so much research and I had the same challenge that others did and that is that there is just not a lot of end user testimonials on the lithium battery setups in terms of ease of install, range, etc. I plan to share all of that.

The lead acid were just not working well for me. Most recent trip had the batteries drained (50%) after just 5 miles. For me, I wanted a drop in ready setup. The great thing about the Allied solution is they are 48V batteries (can get 36v and 72v too) rated at 30ah. They are connected in parallel so the more batteries = more torque and range. I elected for the 4 x 48v 30ah battery setup giving me 120ah. Based on all the information I can find, this will give me a 60-mile range, although with my extended, lifted cart, I’d be happy with half that. I’m using factory controller and motor and have LED lights. I can add 2 more batteries if ever needed to increase ah to 180, but just don’t think I will need it (but nice the system is easily expandable if more range is needed).

Having said all this, this setup was not cheap. $3,750 out the door and includes Allied charger and shipping (free). You can get a 60ah setup for half the price, but the range would be at best 30-45 miles and with my setup I am guessing 15-20 miles.

The plug and play, safety and worry free batteries sold me on it. I’ll keep group posted.
Old 12-10-2020, 03:56 PM   #6
Denzone
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks for the information... I have an extended cart (6 seater) and was wanting to reduce the weight some. My current lead-acid batteries are going on year three and while I don't travel long distances (just around my neighborhood) I like the idea of Lithium batteries. I am just keeping all my options open and will read this periodically. I might just bite the bullet and get them sooner than later though. I have already had the original pack die on me at a bad time.
Old 12-10-2020, 05:19 PM   #7
Bama Brad
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denzone View Post
Thanks for the information... I have an extended cart (6 seater) and was wanting to reduce the weight some. My current lead-acid batteries are going on year three and while I don't travel long distances (just around my neighborhood) I like the idea of Lithium batteries. I am just keeping all my options open and will read this periodically. I might just bite the bullet and get them sooner than later though. I have already had the original pack die on me at a bad time.
Read post #34 of this thread....may help you decide.

https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/show...=167499&page=4
Bama Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 06:33 PM   #8
Witherel
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

I hadn’t seen this post- thanks for sharing. A range of 56 miles on the RoyPow lithium and average speed of 34mph with an upgraded controller is impressive. 160ah lithium battery is more than plenty. I still feel good about my 120ah Allied setup...optimistic I might see 40mi once I get it setup. We’ll see.
Old 12-10-2020, 06:36 PM   #9
Witherel
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Brad View Post
Read post #34 of this thread....may help you decide.

https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/show...=167499&page=4
I hadn’t seen this post- thanks for sharing. A range of 56 miles on the RoyPow lithium and average speed of 34mph with an upgraded controller is impressive. 160ah lithium battery is more than plenty. I still feel good about my 120ah Allied setup...optimistic I might see 40mi once I get it setup. We’ll see.
Old 12-11-2020, 09:04 AM   #10
Denzone
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
If you don't mind me asking, where do you live? I saw in one of your posts you mention Ocean Blvd. I am in Myrtle Beach and if you are local I would love to stop and see your Allied setup.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO > Lithium EZGO