lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-05-2021, 12:09 PM   #1
bwbw80
Not Yet Wild

Default Rubbing wheel, wobbly new tire install

I originally posted this thread:

https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=166741

You can see from this picture here what is rubbing:

IMG_2995.jpg

I'm not 100% certain, but when I have wheels on and the cart lowered, it appears the top of the tire is tilted in (in other words, not perpendicular to the ground but the upper area is in and the lower area a bit out). What would cause this? Is there damage to the axel perhaps?

Also, I am working on installing new tires. That same tire does not set well and is causing a wobble (with lug nuts tightened, the tire still feels loose). Is this an issue with the wheel itself?

Trying to get this back up and running so my daughter can drive herself to the golf course again.
bwbw80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-05-2021, 12:18 PM   #2
Bama Brad
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Default Re: Rubbing wheel, wobbly new tire install

Do you have picture from front of cart with wheels on? something isn't right about the picture in other thread. Is wheel attached backwards?
Bama Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 12:49 PM   #3
crash12888
Gone Crazy

Even with every bushing bad on your suspension the tire location in relation the spindle arm will not change.
The only thing that would come into play would the the wheel bearings bad or the rim is being mounted backwards.
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 12:52 PM   #4
crash12888
Gone Crazy

Looking at the other picture, it looks as if your spindle arm (where the tierod attaches) is bent outward/toward the tire.
Can you post a comparison picture of the right and left arms?
Have you had to adjust the toe lately?
Do your tires point toward the center now?
Old 05-05-2021, 12:58 PM   #5
crash12888
Gone Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwbw80 View Post
I originally posted this thread:

https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=166741

You can see from this picture here what is rubbing:

Attachment 219567

I'm not 100% certain, but when I have wheels on and the cart lowered, it appears the top of the tire is tilted in (in other words, not perpendicular to the ground but the upper area is in and the lower area a bit out). What would cause this? Is there damage to the axel perhaps?

Also, I am working on installing new tires. That same tire does not set well and is causing a wobble (with lug nuts tightened, the tire still feels loose). Is this an issue with the wheel itself?

Trying to get this back up and running so my daughter can drive herself to the golf course again.

Jack it up and with the wheel on it grab it a 12 and 6 position and try to rock it up and down.
Old 05-05-2021, 12:59 PM   #6
bwbw80
Not Yet Wild

IMG_2997.jpg

IMG_2998.jpg

I did a toe adjustment and that seemed to help the rubbing. I'm working on reseating the tires to see if that gets rid of the wobble.
bwbw80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 03:33 PM   #7
Bama Brad
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Can you post picture of the wheel looking at the side, showing the lug nuts?
Bama Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 05:45 AM   #8
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

For what it is worth, I would say this cart has had a bump. It looks to me like the A arm may be bent. This allows the King pin to lean inward toward the cart. This would affect the toe angle. The only times i have seen the TRE ( Track rod end ) rub against the wheel is either the wrong wheel is fitted or the wrong way round, The wheel bearing has collapsed, the king pin thread has snapped off the top of the pin ( yours is clearly not ) or last, the spindle is bent where the bearing shaft ( Axle ) meets the body of the spindle. To see this you will have to remove the Hub from the spindle and take a good look at it. A bent Bearing shaft ( Axle ) will almost certainly be your main issue and i would take a close look at the A Arm and compare it against the one on the other side. It should be perfectly straight, no bends at all. If bent it must be replaced, dont even think about straightening out with a hammer, the steel will be stretched and affect refitting and toe. If the spindle is bent as i suggest, then i would also replace the Clevis as it may be out of true and not easy to see.

When i repair this type of damage i would usually replace all the parts regardless to make sure the steering geometry is kept true.

Another consideration is that if any of these parts are damaged, you will have very uneven amounts of thread at the track rod ends to get the steering wheel centred, and this is not ideal. A definite sign that something is bent/damaged.
Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 06:45 AM   #9
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

spindle.jpg

This is what i was trying to describe.
Old 05-06-2021, 07:38 AM   #10
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

First i apologise for multiple posts, but i keep thinking about this and coming back LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash12888 View Post
Jack it up and with the wheel on it grab it a 12 and 6 position and try to rock it up and down.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Brad View Post
Can you post picture of the wheel looking at the side, showing the lug nuts?
This is good advice on both parts.

I am beginning to second guess now, having read through both your posts several times now, i wonder as you say you have a wobble, then it could well be the wheel bearings. Crash12888 suggests the rocking test but also do it at 3 and 9 of the clock too. If you see it rocking in several directions, its almost certain to be a bearing shot. If it was the rim not seated squarely, you would only get rubbing in one place on the wheel. unless all four wheel lug nuts are loose and allowing the rim to rock on the hub. If you do see movement, check to see if the hub is moving too.

And show us an image of the wheel as Bama Brad asked. I have just looked back at the other thread and the image of the wheel looks correct and appears to be on the right way round. You can clearly see the indentation of the tire bead seat lip and if it was on the wrong way you would see a curve in the wheel band straight after the bead seat lip.

If any of my descriptive words seem odd, don't forget i am British and struggle to remember you say and spell things weird over there LOL! I know a tyre is tire and wheel nut is a lug nut etc. Please forgive me for speaking the Queens English!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car