lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-05-2021, 02:12 PM   #1
Ajluzi
Not Yet Wild

Default Motor recommendations

I’ve resolved to the fact that if I want a decent mph I will have to replace my tires little tin can GE motor. So I’m shopping for a high speed motor. No hills or anything here so don’t need high torque.

I’ve contacted plumquick, but I’m not sure the GE is worth upgrading, especially if I plan to go 48v in the future. I had good experiences with golf cart king, so I’ve reached out to them as well.

Does anyone here have a recommendation for a good high speed series motor that works with both 36 and 48v to get this car to go 20mph-25mph. Nothing crazy just a good neighborhood cruising speed that will follow the flow of traffic.
Trying to stay in the $400-$600 price range.
Ajluzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-05-2021, 03:05 PM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Motor recommendations

One of the three ways to increase the speed of a series drive is to run a 36V motor with a 48V battery pack. The other two are a numerically lower final drive ratio (Tire height and differential gears determine the final drive ratio) and a motor wound for higher speed.

A motor recommendation cannot be made unless the cart it goes in is identified.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 03:40 PM   #3
Bama Brad
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Upgrade to 48v....see if your happy with it. You may be surprised what that old GE motor will do for you. Lot cheaper than buying new motor now (that's not going to get you what you want with 36v) and upgrading then.
Bama Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 06:31 PM   #4
Ajluzi
Not Yet Wild

My hesitation with upgrading to 48v now is that the one thing that wasn’t total garbage on this cart when I got it was the brand new batteries and tray. I know I can add 2 more batteries and get 48v that way. But I’d really rather end up doing it when I decide to switch out all the batteries in a year or so.

I was able to speak with a couple companies. Plumquick recommended not upgrading the Ge to bandit and showed me a motor that should get me mph that I’d like without sacrificing torque and work even better when I do the upgrade to 48v. I haven’t pulled the trigger yet, but they are definitely at the top of the list right now. Plus their turn around should line up perfect timing wise for when I’m ready to complete the build and install the motor by end of this month.
Old 05-05-2021, 06:33 PM   #5
Ajluzi
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
One of the three ways to increase the speed of a series drive is to run a 36V motor with a 48V battery pack. The other two are a numerically lower final drive ratio (Tire height and differential gears determine the final drive ratio) and a motor wound for higher speed.

A motor recommendation cannot be made unless the cart it goes in is identified.
No clue what the hearing is. Everything else on this 1995 medalist was original so I’d imagine the rear end is as well. Tires are 23”. Getting 15mph steady now.
Old 05-06-2021, 05:34 AM   #6
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajluzi View Post
No clue what the hearing is. Everything else on this 1995 medalist was original so I’d imagine the rear end is as well. Tires are 23”. Getting 15mph steady now.
well I highly recommend the motor I have which is an AMD 7126 RAPTOR. which will run on either 36v OR 48v. when I first got it I was running 36v and upgraded later to 48v.

BUT you stated that your drive system is all stock other than the 23" tires.....well I got to tell you that running a STOCK series cart with the stock controller/f&r switch on 23" AND a high speed motor....well its not going to last very long.....to have a cart that will perform well and last you better look into upgrading the rest of the drive system with a bigger controller, HD F&R switch or reversing contactors, SD solenoid and thicker cables.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO