lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-05-2021, 08:06 PM   #1
smdonov
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default EZGo PCX 956 Overhaul --> Need Advice

After 4 years owning my 1996 EZGo PCX-956 (36V), I've finally made it through the desert and found this site! Recently had the roof struts fall apart, so I figure it's a good time to overhaul everything I can while on a budget!

I've got a list of questions, and would love to engage one of you experts about how to prioritize my upgrades and use the most reliable techniques:

1. Repaint - Does rustoleum enamel spraypaint hold up? Any special prep? Does taping work well, or do I need to remove all the fiberglass?
2. Small Lift (3-5") - I see there are no ready-made kits, what goes into a custom job?
3. F/R Switch replacement with Reverse Contractor - is this upgrade worth the effort?
4. Roof Has anybody replaced the roof with a bimini top to make it a convertible? Been driving it without the roof, and it's quicker and smoother than it ever was with a roof on it.
5. 48V upgrade - Can I add 2 additional 6V batteries and replace the Speed controller without changing the engine? Will that do anything for me?

What else should I upgrade to make this a bit zippier and better looking? Remember, I'm new to the upgrade game!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 64047148618__4CD694C3-D239-4BDC-98D0-8B716A556706.jpg (203.4 KB, 0 views)
smdonov is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-06-2021, 09:13 AM   #2
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: EZGo PCX 956 Overhaul --> Need Advice

Cool cart!

For the lift, I have a 6" lift and wish that instead it was a 4" lift. Adding a lift to a narrow vehicle makes it more top heavy. It looks good but would handle better at speed if my lift were a little less. The rear part of the lift is simply some blocks and longer U Bolts. I'd wonder if the front lift is compatible with other model carts. If you look for replacement front springs then cross reference that number with replacement front springs for a Marathon or Medalist. If the number is the same for one of those then a front lift made for one of those may work relatively easy for your cart. FWIW, there are a few carts like yours that are lifted on this forum.

For going to a reversing contactor I think that depends on how big of a controller you want to go with. If you want to pump 600 amps through the stock f-n-r switch then you'll likely see failure sooner than later.

I've seen some bimini type tops. I looked into getting a fixed canvas top for my marathon that I used to have, something like what you'd see over a center console boat. There is a boat junk yard not too far from here, but I got rid of the cart before I headed there to see what they had. But yes, bimini tops and fixed tops can be added.

Increasing voltage increases both seed and torque. You can go to 42V or 48V. Both will require the battery and battery cables as well as a new charger. Most likely if you go to 42v you'll need a new solenoid and controller but not necessarily. My buddy upped his Taylor Dunn cart to 42v and still uses the stock controller and solenoid. If you can possibly still read the details on the solenoid and controller then you may find out they are multi-volt capable.

Stock electric motor will be fine on 42v or 48v. You just don't want to over-speed the motor. I don't know what your rear diff gear ratio is, but electric motors like 6,000rpm or less. You can play with the speed calculator by entering your tire diameter and rear diff gear ratio to see what rpm gives you what speed and then you'll know where the limit is in case you have some good down-hill runs around your house.
https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/speed-calculator.php
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 03:37 PM   #3
smdonov
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks for the quick response!

Since I'm new to this stuff, I've got a couple of (probably) dumb questions in response.

Lifting: Front suspension is just leaf springs, so would I relocate these above the axle and put the block between the axle and the spring? The rear suspension is leaf springs and shock absorber. I'm not sure how I would relocate the leaf spring AND the shock mounting point (See pictures below). Am I on the right track here? Any pictures of a lifted PCX-95X rear suspension?

Is there a standard gear ratio for these carts, or do I need to jack it up and count revolutions?

Finally, while investigating "under the seats," I found that the tie rod looked a little bent. The wheels appear to be aligned, so I'm hoping that it was bent on purpose to achieve alignment (picture attached). Is this just wishful thinking? Do I need to look for a new tie rod too?

Thanks for any help/advice!

1996 PCX-956
Curtis 1205-112, 400A 24-36V Speed Controller
Advanced DC Motor 36V Motor
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RearSpring_RearAttachment.jpg (159.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg FrontSpring_FrontAttachment.jpg (99.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg TieBar.jpg (205.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-07-2021, 03:51 PM   #4
smdonov
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

So after a little more digging, I see that drop axle lift kits move the leaf spring atop the axle and include a new shock mounting feature. So that might be easily solved, however, nothing I've seen is made for a leaf spring suspension in the front. Has anybody else seen these?
Old 05-10-2021, 10:50 AM   #5
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Have you checked with any of the site sponsors? https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/site-sponsors.php

The front lift 'might' be similar to that used by a TXT or Medalist. I don't know but I suspect the vendors might. My lift is a spindle lift where it leaves the springs untouched and moves the spindle downward and slightly outward. There are a lot of 3" spindle lifts that you could mate to a 3" rear lift.
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 04:24 PM   #6
smdonov
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks for this advice! I looked a little deeper into my options with this cart, and it looks like the spindle lift would be the simplest (the steering arm would be impacted by moving the springs to the top of the axle).

I'll call some of the vendors to see what they think. My big concern is that this industrial cart is HEAVY, I've be worried about using a spindle lift designed for an 800lb cart on my 1600lb behemoth!

Tags
ezgo limo shuttle pcx 956
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO