lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-12-2015, 06:46 PM   #1
stevepeck1
Not Yet Wild

Question Weak initial acceleration 1993 Marathon

I have a factory rebuilt "1993" Marathon. Originally a 1990. This cart has an electronic controller and it has what looks to be a penny-size yellow capacitor between the B- and B+ controller terminals. May be normal... I don't know.

I got new batteries last month.

Apparently had an electrical issue as it would sometimes not "go" at all. Tested and found a bad diode on the solenoid. Went ahead and replaced the solenoid diode and while I was there, the resistor on the main terminals. Now it "goes" but has near zero power from standstill as if it has low or dead-cell batteries, but it doesn't. Once it is going, it moves along real well!

Would appreciate troubleshooting ideas as I couldn't find this symptom in the forum search. My apologies if I'm just a bonehead...
stevepeck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-13-2015, 02:47 AM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: Weak initial acceleration 1993 Marathon

Please post pack voltage during initial acceleration.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 07:08 AM   #3
stevepeck1
Not Yet Wild

37.9 resting. 37.0-37.2 floored. Measured at the solenoid and controller. Each battery under load tests 6.19+ cart sits still.
stevepeck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 12:08 PM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

The yellow disk shaped thingy is a MOV (Metal Oxide Varistor), which is a surge suppressor and while EZGO did install them between B- and B+ on the controllers of that era, I don't know why they did it. Perhaps they thought it would reduce the electrical noise (RFI) the controller generated.

Remove it and see if the cart runs better.

--------------
Sounds like the controller isn't opening up fully.
Connect your DVM between the M- and B+ terminals on the controller and try it.
Should be Zero volts when the pedal is pushed just far enough for solenoid to click and then increase to full pack voltage as pedal is pushed to floor.

If it isn't going all the way to full pack voltage, it might be a throttle issue.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 01:56 PM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Agreed - could be a throttle signal issue. Easy to check the resistance between the 2 from the pot to the control.
Simply remove them and plug in your test leads.... set a range of 20,000 and check it several times to see if it builds smoothly or mirrors your acceleration trouble.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 02:13 PM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

The resistance between the two wires should be close to ZeroΩ with pedal up and about 5,000Ω with pedal down. (Might be about 2,500Ω if F/R is in R -- Half speed reverse.)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO