lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-27-2015, 06:20 PM   #1
DBates
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Charger Question

I have a 2004 Club Car Villager 4 IQ, which charger is best? I've seen some used factory used ones on EBay for $175 to $200.00 is there a better option??
DBates is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-27-2015, 06:35 PM   #2
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Charger Question

This is going to vary some by who you talk too...

The Power Drive charger needs to talk to the OBC on the cart in order to charge the battery and this is known to cause some issues where the power is known to go out and back on. Also this charger completely turns off for 2 weeks before awaking to refresh the batteries this can also cause some issues with batteries that are questionable but still useful if kept fully charged.

The DPI does not need the OBC and requires a small simple rewire to which it then keeps a small float charge on your batteries and keeps them at better than 100 % SOC 24/7 which can extend their useful life.... This in my opinion is the best charger but it is not the cheapest option....
teecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 07:41 PM   #3
DKRgoods
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

There is no doubt that the DPI charger is a really good charger. But... as an alternative I went with the Battery Saver (http://www.saveabattery.com/). I went this route because my golf cart is at a camp where it gets used but not enough where I ever need a quick charge. I just leave this plugged in all the time and when I need my cart it is ready to go. Best thing for me is I can leave this plugged in all winter too and not worry.

Just another way you can charge. :-)
DKRgoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 10:16 PM   #4
DBates
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I was looking at the DPI chargers on Ebay. Where could I find info on the re-wire you spoke of?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Club-Car-Pow...item1c3bf0db42
Old 05-27-2015, 10:21 PM   #5
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBates View Post
I was looking at the DPI chargers on Ebay. Where could I find info on the re-wire you spoke of?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Club-Car-Pow...item1c3bf0db42
This is what I did to make the DPI work on my cart.... From the charge receptacle reroute the black wire to your main pack (-) you can also clip the gray wire that acts as the signal wire as it will no longer be needed. Be sure that you order the charger designed to be used on carts WITHOUT an OBC
teecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 10:35 AM   #6
joesam
Gone Wild
Club Car

DPI does sell a "non-smart" charger for Club Car that is essentially no better than stock. it still uses the OBC. If you do buy a DPI charger, make sure it is the type that is referred to as "intelligent charger" (Accusense?).
joesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 11:11 AM   #7
DIRTPIT HC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Check with ScottyB at carts unlimited. H is on the forum and a site sponsor. I got my dpi accusense from him. Great price and customer service. He will make sure you get what you need and probably has a diagram on how to rewire.
DIRTPIT HC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 09:04 PM   #8
DBates
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

cool thanks guys..
Old 10-25-2015, 11:49 AM   #9
rick9194
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKRgoods View Post
There is no doubt that the DPI charger is a really good charger. But... as an alternative I went with the Battery Saver (http://www.saveabattery.com/). I went this route because my golf cart is at a camp where it gets used but not enough where I ever need a quick charge. I just leave this plugged in all the time and when I need my cart it is ready to go. Best thing for me is I can leave this plugged in all winter too and not worry.

Just another way you can charge. :-)
Hey DK
Which charger did you get? I hope it's not a dumb question but, how does the charger hook up to the cart?
rick9194 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car