lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-08-2015, 03:08 PM   #1
MyCousinVinnie
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Repair or replace my motor 36V motor with 48V?

I've got a 1993 Club Car DS with 36volt motor converted with the following upgrades:

6 - 8 volts - 48V cart
700 amp FSIP controller
400/1000 solenoid
Potentiometer
2 g cables
Heavy Duty F/R switch
4" lift kit
22X10X10 tires

I did not upgrade the motor when I upgraded everything else. However, my motor is now not functioning properly. It heats up and caused a shutdown. Did that once and I quit riding it. It's in the shop now. My options are to (1) replace it with a 48V motor (stock 99 club car ds motor with new brushes at the shop), or (2) replace the brushes and continue on with a 36V motor.

I am mainly concerned with range of the cart, not speed. I have heard that running a 36v motor on my set up can cause problems. I can get a good deal on the 99 stock motor, or what i think is is a good deal - $200. No idea what 36 volt repair will cost.

I left the 36volt motor on the cart because I read on here that I would get more speed/torque out of a 36v running on 48 volts.

If you have any advice, I'd appreciate it.
MyCousinVinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-08-2015, 03:35 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Repair or replace my motor 36V motor with 48V?

I see nothing stock about your cart. I would go with an upgraded motor, not stock.
Where do you ride? Is it hilly or soft footing? Lots of slow going?
How many people ride on the cart?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 03:56 PM   #3
MyCousinVinnie
Gone Wild
Club Car

Thanks, ScottyB. I was hoping you'd respond, as I got all the upgrades, except the lift and tires from you.

The only thing stock on the cart is the motor.

Half the place is fairly hilly, and yes, there a few soft spots, but nothing major.

Cart has a rear seat, but usually just one or two on it. Sometimes I put a 15 gallon sprayer on rear seat flip down.

When you say upgraded, do you mean to the 48 volt motor I mentioned or something even more upgraded than that?
Old 09-08-2015, 04:12 PM   #4
scooterman
Gone Wild

Club Car

I'd agree you need an Upgraded 48v motor NOT stock! You won't last if you try to repair the 36v motor, you have too much upgraded for that type thing LOL if there is a such a thing.
scooterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 04:34 PM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Both 36 and 48v golf cart motors were designed for 2 people to travel 12-14 mph down the fairway on 18 inch tires.
Your bigger tires and rear seat amount to taller gear ratio and increased weight. The stock motor is quickly at a disadvantage. If a stock 36v motor in good condition can be had then you can turn the control down a wee bit and have a go at it. A stock 48v motor would probably be a disappointment performance wise.
I suggest the D&D Beast motor and finish this project off nicely. We are a D&D dealer, I can make you a deal here, just email.
Old 09-08-2015, 08:05 PM   #6
MyCousinVinnie
Gone Wild
Club Car

Well, before I had issues, I was getting 25 mph and no problem with hills out of that 36 volt motor. I don't really need improved performance, just the same. For that matter, if it does not go as fast but has decent torque, I'm fine with that too. It's not like you can ride a golf cart 25 mph down a dirt road with bumps and be comfortable. Also, I cannot drop $900-1000 on a new D & D motor. that's just not in the cards.

Also, I am also confused. There are threads saying an upgrade and keeping the 36 volt STOCK motor is a good thing because you can get more speed/torque out of that motor, then on the other hand, stock is not sufficient for my upgrade. I guess I'll figure something out, but if anyone has any other suggestions, let me know. Thanks.

I see that Plum Quick sells an upgrade for $225. That may be for sepex motors only though. I can't tell.

Finally, I didn't make any adjustments to the controller when I got it for that 36 volt motor. I wonder whether that might have something to do with my problem?
Old 09-08-2015, 09:01 PM   #7
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

If I were you I would call plumb quick. They can likely fix your motor.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 11:46 PM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

We are a D&D dealer. There are no motors for 900 -1000.00 ?

According to my calculations 22 " tires traveling 25 mph = 6000 motor rpms. Maximum rpms for a custom built ($600) motor but more than 2 Xs stock motor rpm.
There are many who are running stock 36v motors on 48v for years. Maybe your motor was not a stock motor.
Old 09-09-2015, 06:15 AM   #9
scooterman
Gone Wild

Club Car

Did you say your controller is a 36v controller? If you can limit the output so not to over rev the 36v motor then it can last but you will loose speed. You have to stay within the limits of the motor.
scooterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 08:33 AM   #10
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

As far as the controller adjustment for stock motor, one thing to keep in mind about series motors is that the flux does not increase much after core saturation.

If you apply current to a series motor and prevent it from turning (stall), you basically have a virtual short (low winding resistance) and the motor will draw as much current as the battery/controller can deliver, until the coils melt.

As current flows, the flux created by the stator winding increases proportionally to the motor current, which creates great torque on a series motor. The flux increase also creates Back EMF voltage as the armature rotates, which reduces the total current flowing through the motor.

However, once the motor reaches core saturation, the current can continue to increase without any increase in flux/torque until the motor overheats.

One thing You can do to minimize that possibility is to lower the CA setting on your controller, that does not decrease your torque, the controller just ramps up the current slowly, which allows the rotating motor to develop Back EMF and naturally reach a lower current demand.

You can also limit the maximum current setting to about 500 amps, You will need to "estimate" that one as there are no graduations on that set screw.

I also agree that $225 for a Bandit upgrade is a much better deal than $200 for just some new brushes installed by a regular shop without motor rebuilding experience.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car