lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-09-2015, 12:27 PM   #11
MyCousinVinnie
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Repair or replace my motor 36V motor with 48V?

Thanks for the advice.

Scotty, the price I gave was based on what I've seen online a few places. Maybe those were wrong. D & D doesn't put prices on their website, so it is hard to know. Still, I don't know if I want to drop $600
MyCousinVinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-22-2015, 10:30 AM   #12
MyCousinVinnie
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
As far as the controller adjustment for stock motor, one thing to keep in mind about series motors is that the flux does not increase much after core saturation.

If you apply current to a series motor and prevent it from turning (stall), you basically have a virtual short (low winding resistance) and the motor will draw as much current as the battery/controller can deliver, until the coils melt.

As current flows, the flux created by the stator winding increases proportionally to the motor current, which creates great torque on a series motor. The flux increase also creates Back EMF voltage as the armature rotates, which reduces the total current flowing through the motor.

However, once the motor reaches core saturation, the current can continue to increase without any increase in flux/torque until the motor overheats.

One thing You can do to minimize that possibility is to lower the CA setting on your controller, that does not decrease your torque, the controller just ramps up the current slowly, which allows the rotating motor to develop Back EMF and naturally reach a lower current demand.

You can also limit the maximum current setting to about 500 amps, You will need to "estimate" that one as there are no graduations on that set screw.

I also agree that $225 for a Bandit upgrade is a much better deal than $200 for just some new brushes installed by a regular shop without motor rebuilding experience.
Sergio,

Any idea how much to turn down the CA? There is only a screw, like the CL. is there anyway to measure?

The FSIP tech support guys say that even without adjustments, the motor only draws whatever it supports so even if turned all the way up, it should not cause a problem. I'm going to recheck wheel resistance/freedom and go from there. if that's not it, I guess I will order a new motor and hope it doesn't get burned up too.

Thanks.
Old 09-22-2015, 11:24 AM   #13
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Mathematically the CL or current limit screw adjust maximum output from 350-700 amps. When tested the small pot adjustment screw rotates 3/4 of a turn or 270º which works out to 1.3 amps per degree or 150º for 195 amps.
Note each 1/4 turn is 90º = 117 amps
1/2 turn is 180º = 234 amps

Use a flashlight to observe the screw position and size.
Gently insert proper size tool and rotate counter clockwise until stop. DO NOT FORCE THIS SCREW
Put a pencil mark where both ends of the screwdriver blade are now.
This is 0º and 180º
If you have a protractor mark 150º and make the adjustment to this mark.
If no protractor place a mark half way between 0 and 180. Then another mark between this new mark and 180. This is 135º. Half way between 135 and 180 is 157º that's 204.75º reduced max output .
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 11:27 AM   #14
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
the motor only draws whatever it supports
I don't disagree with that statement in general terms, but what a motor can "support" ranges from "efficient" when it is operating in the manufactures "curve", to self-destruction if it stalls.

Turn the CA setting all the way down and drive the cart.

If the acceleration feels sluggish, like pedal down on 5th gear, turn it up a little until you feel it is adequate to your driving conditions.

Edit: Just saw ScottyB post on how to add graduations to the set screw, great idea!
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 02:57 PM   #15
MyCousinVinnie
Gone Wild
Club Car

OK. I am going to try turning it down to 500 amps and then turning the CA all the way down. I will, however, need a motor to try this. My old one is in bad shape. The shop I have it in has a 48 V motor, but they no longer want to try it on there because last time we tried that, the motor started to overheat after just a few minutes and they don't want to damage the motor they have. I supposed I will have to buy one and just "hope" that I don't burn it up. BTW, I sent the controller back to FSIP, and they said it runs fine.

Any ideas how I can prevent motor damage if I buy a new motor? I've read threads about folks burning up more than one. Thanks.
Old 09-23-2015, 03:02 PM   #16
MyCousinVinnie
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
I don't disagree with that statement in general terms, but what a motor can "support" ranges from "efficient" when it is operating in the manufactures "curve", to self-destruction if it stalls.
Sergio,

What do you mean by "stalls"?

Do you mean stalls as in has to work harder due to improper brakes or damaged differential? I've checked the brakes and differential and wheels are turning freely.

If you don't mind, please let me know. Thanks.
Old 09-23-2015, 03:52 PM   #17
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

I meant stalls as in stops making forward progress.

If You press the pedal all the way down very quickly, the motor will try to draw as much current as it can, but only a fraction of that current will be used to move forward, the rest will dissipate as heat on the motor.

As the motor turns, the rotating armature creates a reverse voltage at the motor (called back emf), which reduces the amount of current the motor draws.

The CA adjustment will still allow the motor to use all of the current You set at the CL adjustment (if needed), but it will ramp it slowly so as the motor turns, it may not need all of that excess current and it will run cooler.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 07:11 PM   #18
Cruise Master
Gone Wild
Club Car

The more I read this forum, the more I know my next cart will be gas. You may want to cut your losses, and reevaluate your wants/needs.
Cruise Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 09:43 AM   #19
MyCousinVinnie
Gone Wild
Club Car

strike that
Old 09-25-2015, 09:44 AM   #20
MyCousinVinnie
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruise Master View Post
The more I read this forum, the more I know my next cart will be gas. You may want to cut your losses, and reevaluate your wants/needs.
I've been thinking the same thing. I have a bunch of $$$ invested in this one, and it seems like it is nothing but trouble.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car