lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-03-2015, 02:48 PM   #11
Jeffreynmandy
Gone Wild

Default Re: Solenoid Cables Burnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
If I read the statement highlighted in blue right, the F1 cable was not intentionally connected to the solenoid, it just was routed close enough to the stud that got hot to melt through the insulation, which then shorted the F1 cable conductor to the stud, which in turn put B+ from the battery pack into the Field winding circuit, which drew enough amps to burn the 10 Ga copper conductor in two.

As CG said, it the battery voltage did get tied to the Field circuit, it very likely took out the controller. In fact, it might have taken out the Field windings in the motor also.

Was the heat from the solenoid? I check mine when I check my motor and it's always 120 degrees.

Which wires were to close? Was a cable laying against a solenoid stud, and the hot stud melted the cable?

I'm in the process of upgrading my solenoid. Does my wiring look safely routed? I was going to replace that smaller wire to the left of the solenoid with 2awg, is that needed? It says bat+ Sol, on it. There's a couple other I'm going to change from 4awg to 2.

I cheaped out and told the installer to use all the old cables I had, but there wasn't quite enough 2awg to do every thing.

I'm changing the last couple cables so I'll have all 2awg, the solenoid to a 400a, and I'm going to get the f/r upgrade.

Wil I see any change in performance at all, or is this just mainly for safety? Here's a pic of my install.

Jeffreynmandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-03-2015, 03:34 PM   #12
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

That short wire from solenoid to controller must be same size as the other "big" cables. All of your "big" wires are only as good as your weakest one (currently the small short one from solenoid to controller, and that puny solenoid). That puny solenoid is a liability to your whole system right now. Get it gone, the sooner the better.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 04:18 PM   #13
mgray70
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffreynmandy View Post
Was the heat from the solenoid? I check mine when I check my motor and it's always 120 degrees.

Which wires were to close? Was a cable laying against a solenoid stud, and the hot stud melted the cable?

I'm in the process of upgrading my solenoid. Does my wiring look safely routed? I was going to replace that smaller wire to the left of the solenoid with 2awg, is that needed? It says bat+ Sol, on it. There's a couple other I'm going to change from 4awg to 2.

I cheaped out and told the installer to use all the old cables I had, but there wasn't quite enough 2awg to do every thing.

I'm changing the last couple cables so I'll have all 2awg, the solenoid to a 400a, and I'm going to get the f/r upgrade.

Wil I see any change in performance at all, or is this just mainly for safety? Here's a pic of my install.

600 amp controller with a 75 amp solenoid? I agree with cgtech change it soon! Also how about the fnr switch? Is it still stock?
mgray70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 06:26 PM   #14
Jeffreynmandy
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
That short wire from solenoid to controller must be same size as the other "big" cables. All of your "big" wires are only as good as your weakest one (currently the small short one from solenoid to controller, and that puny solenoid). That puny solenoid is a liability to your whole system right now. Get it gone, the sooner the better.
It's parked for now. I have the body off to get it painted. I did drive it for a couple weeks. I knew it wasn't the best idea. I just had it all put in a few weeks ago.

The f/r is also stock, but I'm ordering the f/r upgrade when I order the solenoid in a few days.

Other than the upgrades I'm about to do, does the wiring look ok, everything properly spaced apart andv what not? I'm trying to make it as safe as possible equipment wise.

I've got my steering fixed, with a steering box, hd springs on front and back, and a steering stabilizer. Other than that I know there's just nothing else safe about going 30+ mph on a golf cart.
Old 10-03-2015, 08:34 PM   #15
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Wire nuts scream "rookie". Black melty wire is no good. Keep all your control wires as far away from the batteries (acid) as practical.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 08:52 PM   #16
Jeffreynmandy
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
Wire nuts scream "rookie". Black melty wire is no good. Keep all your control wires as far away from the batteries (acid) as practical.

I replaced the black wire, I don't know when that happened. That's when I decided to park it until I finished the upgrades.

I had some pinched wires going to the ITS that were hard to access, so some new wires had to be ran. That's why he didn't use the plug, and had to rearrange the wiring.
Old 10-09-2015, 01:45 PM   #17
devybob
Gone Wild

O.K. Back to my problem with all the burnt wires and solenoid. My new solenoid came in, so I repaired all the burnt cables and wire expecting the controller and possibly the motor to be gone too, guess what,IT WORKED!. no controller or motor to buy, How much is the lottery worth?
devybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 02:50 PM   #18
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by devybob View Post
O.K. Back to my problem with all the burnt wires and solenoid. My new solenoid came in, so I repaired all the burnt cables and wire expecting the controller and possibly the motor to be gone too, guess what,IT WORKED!. no controller or motor to buy, How much is the lottery worth?
It would be a waste of money, you just received your allotment of luck for the next couple years at least.....

Glad to hear it's running.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO