lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-19-2015, 11:06 AM   #1
buck1bass2
Not Yet Wild

Default Regen 1 controller bad

I have 1996 Club car with the regen 1 system. I shored out the controller when the yellow wire came lose and hit a Batt. post. I download the manual from this site and did all the checks, I am a radio ham operator so I opened up the controller and one transistor Q17 blown, replaced it no luck. I have read all the threads about the Regen 1 controller and know it is no longer built or repaired . I only enjoy the cart to take the KIDs for rides and do not care about speed or jacking it up stock is fine. I have seen replacement controllers and up grades. Have call all over the US for a used Regen 1 controller no luck. The rest of the Cart is in good shap, I paid 1,500 for 4 years ago. Any help as what to or were to get it from. Thanks
buck1bass2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-19-2015, 11:14 AM   #2
crash test dummy

Default Re: Regen 1 controller bad

contact ScottyB @ carts unlimited he will know whats available to fix your cart

scottyb@cartsunlimited.net
Old 10-19-2015, 11:20 AM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Regen I and regen II were stepping stones to today's IQ systems.
They were abandoned in favor of better systems and little if any support remains for these systems.
Your best bet when one of these systems needs repair/upgrade is to convert to a modern IQ system. Do a google search you will find lots of information. Customers who have made the change are enjoying upgraded & updated performance
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 11:23 AM   #4
crash test dummy

you sell the upgrades ?
Old 10-19-2015, 11:34 AM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash test dummy View Post
you sell the upgrades ?
We do - once it is converted with a simple main wire harness (about $200) then an IQ motor and control is about all that's needed. Provided rocker switch & run tow switch is in place like regen II. Regen I will require a little more work
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 06:26 PM   #6
joesam
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
then an IQ motor
I think David (& maybe Sergio) indicated that although the speed sensor on Regen 1 & 2 is a slightly different device, it supplies the same/required information to an IQ controller. In other words, a Regen 1 & 2 motor are the same, and neither need to be replaced when converting to IQ. That's how I understood it, anyway.

But the Regen 1 will require installation of a run/tow switch; in addition to the IQ harness. Again...I've never done one - but that was my understanding.
joesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 08:52 AM   #7
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesam View Post
I think David (& maybe Sergio) indicated that although the speed sensor on Regen 1 & 2 is a slightly different device, it supplies the same/required information to an IQ controller. In other words, a Regen 1 & 2 motor are the same, and neither need to be replaced when converting to IQ. That's how I understood it, anyway.

But the Regen 1 will require installation of a run/tow switch; in addition to the IQ harness. Again...I've never done one - but that was my understanding.
The factory motor/speed sensor is fully compatible and will work fine with an IQ system. The only time you'll have an issue is if you wanted to add a high speed magnet. There are no high speed magnets available for the Regen1/2 motor. The magnet that's in them is an 8 pole design, same as the OEM IQ magnet.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 07:30 PM   #8
buck1bass2
Not Yet Wild

Sorry for taking so long to Thank everyone for the in put. After reading all the threads, I found Bob who in 2010 thread, had just upgraded his 1996 club car from regen 1 to IQ. So I called him and he still had it and I got it today, put it on and works great thanks Bob. I read a thread about resetting the OBC and going step by step it says that the reverse buzzer will sound in about 30 sec. after removing the B - cable. Mine does not sound, is my OBC bad ? or does these not work on a regen 1 OBC ?
buck1bass2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 08:12 PM   #9
crash test dummy

sometimes the buzzer buzzes, sometimes not
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car