lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-21-2015, 10:05 PM   #1
masonhunter
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default 2003 Club Car DS IQ 48v - stopped working all of a sudden

2003 Club Car DS IQ 48v - (6) 8 volt batteries
serial# 7G0316-275765

My cart stopped going all of sudden. I can still hear the clicking of the solenoid but no movement. I had one jerk in reverse when toggling the f/r switch but nothing since. Below are the tests that I have performed so far:

Removed and cleaned all battery cables (4 ga) and posts and reinstalled checking all connections.

Replaced the long cable running from the positive side battery pack to the solenoid (the end of the cable on the battery pack side was in poor condition)

Battery pack is currently reading 50.9v. Last charge was 48 hours ago.

I tested the large terminal of solenoid (+) to neg end of battery pack and got 49.4v and 49.9v when pedal is depressed (this was before I charged cart)

Checked continuity of large terminals of Solenoid = good

I performed all MCOR tests:
(+) battery pack to purple/white (MCOR) = 49v
(-) battery pack to white (MCOR) = 4.6v
(-) battery pack to yellow (MCOR) = .26v pedal depressed = 4.4
(this was low from the specs I had - I did not perform anymore MCOR resistance tests)

I checked continuity of A1 and A2 motor and didn't get anything with pedal not pushed. When I pushed the pedal with voltmeter connected, the cart worked (scared me to death as I didn't have the cart jacked up )

Sorry for the long post but I was trying to give you as much information as possible. Please let me know what other tests I can perform to narrow down the problem. There is a great wealth of knowledge on here. Thanks for all your help in advance.
masonhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-22-2015, 07:35 AM   #2
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

Default Re: 2003 Club Car DS IQ 48v - stopped working all of a sudden

First that is a strange number to be a serial number. Did you put the cart in TOW before working on batteries, if not the controller may have blown.

Serial number just above the GO pedal.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 08:13 AM   #3
crash test dummy

Quote:
2003 Club Car DS IQ 48v - (6) 8 volt batteries
serial# 7G0316-275765
0316-275765 works as a 2003 cart
AQ would be first
Old 10-22-2015, 08:23 AM   #4
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

According to the serial number prefixes posted by lockman1 on the stickies (last post), that is the correct serial number for a 2003 'Silver standard IQ Handyman".

The part that does not sound right is the use of the word "continuity" in the test description.

You cannot test continuity on an energized circuit, and it really should be performed on a disconnected system unless you are really certain on how the circuit works.

I would re-test the solenoid to make sure it is indeed closing.

Set your meter to DC volts and place the leads on the 2 solenoid big posts, positive probe on the big post connected to the pack and negative probe on the big post connected to the controller.

If the "pre-charge" resistor is still installed, You should measure a few volts with the pedal up.

When You press the pedal and hear the solenoid click, the voltage should be 0v.

If the voltage goes up instead of down to 0v, the solenoid is bad.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 09:30 PM   #5
masonhunter
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks for the responses. It does say "Silver Standard" on the plate and that is the correct serial number. I always put the cart in tow mode if messing with the batteries or electrical system unless I am testing something that states to have it in run mode. My hope is that the controller is not bad as that seems to be one of the more expensive repairs.

Sergio - I did test the solenoid and got .55v without the pedal and it did go to 0v with the pedal pushed. Are there any other solenoid tests that I should perform? How can you test to see if the contoller is working? Any more advice would be appreciated.

Thanks for all your help!
Old 10-22-2015, 10:04 PM   #6
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

The solenoid is working properly, the MCOR voltage could be a little higher, maybe you have some wear in the throttle assembly.

Check this old trick to see if it helps you get more top speed (higher MCOR voltage on yellow wire).

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...tml#post258017

Does the reverse buzzer sound in reverse?

Did you do the speed sensor push test?
Just push the cart by hand with the Tow/Run on Run to make sure the controller can power the motor field coil.
If You hear the buzzer but the cart does not try to stop, make sure the F1 and F2 connectors are fully inserted in the controller.
I am not sure how the voltmeter connected to the A1 and A2 on the motor would have any effect on the cart working unless the connections are loose or the ends are bad and the applied pressure completed the circuit.
Old 10-22-2015, 10:20 PM   #7
masonhunter
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

The reverse buzzer has never worked properly. It will come on every once in awhile but most of the time it doesn't sound. I will try the push test and report findings. Thanks for your input.
Old 10-22-2015, 10:25 PM   #8
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

Sergio,

Could the meter test he did on the motor somehow worked like the test to see if motor is good when all cables are unhooked and the motor is tested with jumper cables and a battery?
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 10:38 PM   #9
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

If the meter was set to continuity, it would not be able to get a reading since there would be B+ voltage at motor A1 terminal.

If there were alligator clips applying pressure on the motor terminals, that may be what caused the circuit to be completed.
Old 10-22-2015, 11:04 PM   #10
masonhunter
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

When the motor did go from touching the A1 and A2 terminal with the voltmeter set to continuity and the pedal pressed, it was only probes touching with little pressure, no clips. I did it twice just to make sure it wasn't a fluke. I haven't tried it again as I don't want to mess anything up.

I can't get outside tonight to do the push test with all the rain but I did check everything over again. When I press the pedal, the solenoid clicks and I can hear a low whine sound from the motor. I did get it to move just ever so slightly but only once. Could it be the speed sensor or a bad motor? Thanks
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car