lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-22-2015, 06:19 AM   #1
Rexwood
Not Yet Wild

Default Question about voltage reducers

I just purchased a 2012 Club Car Precedent and am in the process of rigging it up for hunting here in Southeast Virginia. It has the standard 6 - 8v battery setup. I want to install some LED flood/spot lights on the roof. My question is about which voltage reducer to use. I am not very well versed in electrical issues so please forgive me if I ask silly questions. Is it best to use a 16v to 12v reducer on two of the batteries or should I use a 48v to 12v reducer on the whole battery pack? I do not want to wire it to the key switch but think I would like to have a lighted toggle switch in the dash so I can see when the reducer is on. I have a fear of accidentally leaving it on and draining the batteries of worse. Can anyone give me some advice and recommendations on which reducers to use or stay away from?

Thanks in advance,
Rex
Rexwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-22-2015, 06:26 AM   #2
gravelydude
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Question about voltage reducers

Rex,

You definitely want a 48/12 volt reducer (converter). That way, you won't draw down a few of your batteries, creating an imbalance in your pack, shortening their lives. Scotty B (Carts Unlimited) carries one that many on this forum have installed.

Jack
gravelydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 06:53 AM   #3
Budule
Gone Wild

Club Car

I guess you could switch the reducer but it wont be "on" unless you leave the lights on , the reducer itself wont draw ...

EDIT: I AM WRONG !!!....
Budule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 08:30 AM   #4
crash test dummy

scottyb sells the reducer that uses the carts key switch to activate the reducer or you can have it on all the time and yes it will draw power all the time and could drain batteries over time
http://www.cartsunlimited.net/DC_Reducer.html

here is diagram i did for another member with 4 12v batteries but it is the same for your cart

with toggle switch
Old 10-22-2015, 08:44 AM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budule View Post
I guess you could switch the reducer but it wont be "on" unless you leave the lights on , the reducer itself wont draw ...
Voltage reducers do consume some juice to operate so you do want them turned off when not in use
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 08:49 AM   #6
crash test dummy

hey left coast !!!
Old 10-22-2015, 08:59 AM   #7
Budule
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Voltage reducers do consume some juice to operate so you do want them turned off when not in use
I was not aware of that ...my neighbors cart that I have helped him on sat for long periods of time without any noticeable draw , 36 to 12 wired straight to batteries...

I edited my post to " I AM WRONG".....which is the way every conversation with my wife ends so no biggie...
Budule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 10:03 AM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budule View Post
I was not aware of that ...my neighbors cart that I have helped him on sat for long periods of time without any noticeable draw , 36 to 12 wired straight to batteries...

I edited my post to " I AM WRONG".....which is the way every conversation with my wife ends so no biggie...
She must be related to my wife.
The draw varies from model to model but they all consume some amperage to work. If left on they can draw down the pack.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 11:35 AM   #9
Rexwood
Not Yet Wild

Thanks everybody for all the help. I just need to decide now on what lights to use. I originally thought I wanted to mount them to the underside of the top but after looking at lots of photos, I like the idea of a front brush guard with several lights mounted on the guard.

Rex
Rexwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car