lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-23-2015, 11:55 AM   #1
mattoxh
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default 48 Volt Cart-does not hold charge

2000 Club Car 48 volt Bypassed OBC. 2 year old Duracell 8 Volt Batteries. Normal tires. 48-12 volt transformer installed for lights but I have not installed lights yet. Rear seat added. Fully charges but after short time car will barely move. I checked voltage with a multimeter and it reads 49 volts. Individually I have 7 batteries that read 8.3 volts and one that reads 7.9 volts. Water is fine in all eight batteries. I appreciate all suggestions.
mattoxh is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-23-2015, 12:04 PM   #2
Epb
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: 48 Volt Cart-does not hold charge

Welcome to BGW,
test the voltage while driving the cart. My cart will droo to 45 at take off and hold steady at 46-47 while cruising then after a rest go back to 50 . My individual batterries will hit a 7.3 or 7.5. I think im getting to end of life since i do t hit my max speed. I dont know the true value of what they should read under load. You can though see if you droo to 40...42 or 6 or 7 is not good and u will need new batteries. Do the tests and report back and others can opine on the values u get.
testing at rest doesnt give u the true value.
e
Epb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 12:32 PM   #3
tag50
Gone Wild
Club Car

Does not compute. Eight 8 volt batteries= 48 volts?

8.3v.=75% state of charge
7.9v.=35% state of charge (dead)

The 48 to 12 reducer will have a small draw if not switched off.

tag50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 01:18 PM   #4
mattoxh
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Sorry. 5 at 8.3 1 at 7.9 volts. 6 total not 8.
Old 10-23-2015, 01:29 PM   #5
Frizbgolf
Gone Wild

Club Car

I have run the duracells in my daughters 03 DS for years now. I have been replacing the batteries 1 or 2 at a time, so that I am on a 2 year rotating schedule. I know that only replacing some of the batteries and not all is not the preferred method but for the limited use the cart sees it works and I am still able to get 36 holes out of it in between charges. So I would say just replace the one that is at 7.9v and see if that will help the other batts come up to full charge. Has also been my experience that with one bad batt the others never seem to get fully charged as that one drags down the whole pack.
Frizbgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 01:58 PM   #6
tag50
Gone Wild
Club Car

Even if the dead one was replaced, a "fully charged" pack at 75% isn't going to cut it. Sorry.

tag50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 02:05 PM   #7
Accountability
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

My '97 48v DC is really slow and dies quickly too. I now believe my issue is bad batteries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tag50 View Post

8.3v.=75% state of charge
7.9v.=35% state of charge (dead)
I'm new to carts and electric motors, so to make sure I'm understanding correctly, if fully charged my batteries are 8-8.1v they are nearing death?
Initially I was getting over 49v across system at full charge (assumed good for 48v system), so started researching other possibilities until I was able to borrow a load tester. I am still learning, but have quickly discovered there is a difference between volts and amps. My old batteries can charge to 8.1v, but still aren't putting out the amps needed to push cart fast or for any duration. How many volts should a good 8v fully charged battery read?
Accountability is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 02:08 PM   #8
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattoxh View Post
2000 Club Car 48 volt Bypassed OBC. 2 year old Duracell 8 Volt Batteries. Normal tires. 48-12 volt transformer installed for lights but I have not installed lights yet. Rear seat added. Fully charges but after short time car will barely move. I checked voltage with a multimeter and it reads 49 volts. Individually I have 7 batteries that read 8.3 volts and one that reads 7.9 volts. Water is fine in all eight batteries. I appreciate all suggestions.
Just to clarify those two statements:

The OBC bypass did include running the charger receptacle negative wire directly to pack negative right?

Is that short time parked or a short time driving?

The individual battery voltages right after the charger finishes the cycle and then again after a 12 hour rest will help.

The sticky "Everything to do with batteries" has the proper battery voltages.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 02:34 PM   #9
Accountability
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by tag50 View Post
Even if the dead one was replaced, a "fully charged" pack at 75% isn't going to cut it. Sorry.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
The sticky "Everything to do with batteries"[/URL] has the proper battery voltages.

The one piece of info I do not see in that sticky is what % fully charged will "cut it"? Another words, based off volts alone, when do you know performance issues are batteries and when to replace?

Sorry if I hijacked, but experiencing similar issues and trying to get to the bottom of while still learning.
Accountability is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 06:45 PM   #10
mattoxh
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

OBC Bypass is correctly done with negative side of charger receptive wir do to negative post of pack. I loos power after a short ride. I recharged to 100% and it only took a couple hours, battery packed charged to 55 volts.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car