lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-23-2015, 06:48 PM   #11
Epb
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: 48 Volt Cart-does not hold charge

Did u ever load test the batteries? You may just have one thats bad? Charge voltage really doesnt help you. I think you have a bad battery or two.
Epb is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-23-2015, 07:38 PM   #12
mattoxh
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I have one of those cheap load testers and I checked each with a load on them and they all tested good. I plan to hook a multimeter up tomorrow and check while running to get the pack voltage under a load. Perhaps I could also check each one while moving. Thanks for the replies.
mattoxh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 08:02 PM   #13
cartattach
Gone Wild
Club Car

The one battery that is low......if it is bad, like a bad cell would act, it will make the whole pack suffer. If you need to do a load test, and don't have the high dollar load testing tool on hand, then pull the cart against a curb or even a wall, and have an assistant give you throttle while testing each battery. A battery may show a decent charge at idle and then show it is deader than a doornail under load. Many times, this will cause main dropout failures. Running briefly and having a low charge is indicative of such, but also likely says the pack is on the way out
cartattach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 08:11 PM   #14
mattoxh
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks Cartattach. Will follow your suggestion tomorrow and report back.
Old 10-23-2015, 10:46 PM   #15
cartattach
Gone Wild
Club Car

Sure thing. From there we can move on down the diagnostic list.
cartattach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 03:10 PM   #16
mattoxh
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Removed Charger pack voltage 50 V
Checked each battery while riding-
RESTING VOLTAGE. VOLTAGE UBDER LOAD. RECOVER VOLTAGE
8.1. 7.6 7.9
8.4 8.1 8.36
8.31 7.8 8.26
8.3 7.8 8.25
8.3 7.9 8.25
8.27 7.8 8.25

Pack Voltage after test. 49 volts

For some reason the cart would barely go after charge although charger indicates full charge. Perhaps there is an electrical problem within the controls. All cables in good shape.
Thanks
Heyward
Old 10-24-2015, 05:47 PM   #17
kendeiss
Getting Wild
Club Car

If you are bypassing OBC your battery's are not receiving proper charge!
I recharge at obout 70% it takes 6 to 8hrs before the charger automatically shuts off.My Trojans T875 are 9 and 1/2 years old and working well
kendeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 01:53 PM   #18
mattoxh
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

UPDATE
Today after allowing the golf car to sit all night I got on it today and it appears to run fine. I checked all the cables they are fine with no corrosion. Can't figure this one out, will see how long the charges lasts. A mystery. Thanks
Old 10-25-2015, 05:42 PM   #19
tag50
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accountability View Post
The one piece of info I do not see in that sticky is what % fully charged will "cut it"? Another words, based off volts alone, when do you know performance issues are batteries and when to replace?

Sorry if I hijacked, but experiencing similar issues and trying to get to the bottom of while still learning.
Since mattoxh is waiting the results of his latest charge, I'll address the hijack.

I probably shouldn't have said "cut it". A better choice would have been "a sign of trouble. 50% State Of Charge is where unrecoverable damage to the battery starts and is considered the bottom of the "tank". So the operating range for a cart battery is between 100% SOC (full tank) and 50% SOC (empty tank). Starting with a 75% SOC is starting the trip with only 1/2 tank.

At one time people were putting bricks in their toilet tanks to save water. Put enough bricks in and they could reduce the water/flush in half. Now lets put the lid on the tank and call it a battery. From the outside the only thing we know is it's holding 1/2 as much water as it use to but is it because the capacity is reduced (batteries won't hold as much) or because the shut-off float is set wrong (charger error).

Performance. If your car went from 20 mpg to 10 mpg you would start looking for the issue. If the same round of golf that took the batteries down to 80% SOC 6 months ago, now takes them down to 65% indicates some troubleshooting is in order( whether it be mech. or elect.)

I hope this helps some. I am certainly not a cart expert. My knowledge is pretty much limited to my own cart, but there are a lot of experts here so feel free to start your own thread. Everybody learns from each others problems.

tag50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car