lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-01-2015, 09:17 PM   #1
timmyjane
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Whats up with my batteries

1 year old batteries on a 36v cart and cant get them above 6.2v per battery. Gives me an overall of 37.2 which is about 70% SOC. Whats up with that? I have tried charging them in 12v sets and no change. Waters good. Any ideas on how to get these batteries up to snuff? I doubt that the cart could make it a full round of golf, if I played.
timmyjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-01-2015, 09:36 PM   #2
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Default Re: Whats up with my batteries

Just thinking out loud.......

#1---At any point did the batteries sit uncharged for an extended period of time?
#2---Did you let them run down to under 36.3-V ...or 50% or less SOC?
#3---Are you sure your volt meter is in good working order?
#4---I'm already assuming your water that you use is distilled and only .5" above the plates?
#5---When you shut the cart off there is nothing that is "draining" or pulling power from the pack?
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 10:05 PM   #3
johnny reb
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

the best thing I have added to every battery cart I own/ trade is a real onboard volt meter they are inexpensive and fairly accurate when tested besides a volt meter. I have a link below. i also have done the Epsom salt thing which helps in desulphurization (videos on you tube) but i would also check my terminals. here is the link on the meters too
http://www.ebay.com/itm/36V-Golf-Car...xVCHKP&vxp=mtr
johnny reb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 07:41 AM   #4
timmyjane
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

#1---At any point did the batteries sit uncharged for an extended period of time? Probably. Prior Owner didnt use the cart much and charger was faulty when I got it.
#2---Did you let them run down to under 36.3-V ...or 50% or less SOC? The thing has left me hanging a few times so Id say yes. It doesnt take long for it to die.
Old 11-02-2015, 07:43 AM   #5
timmyjane
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny reb View Post
the best thing I have added to every battery cart I own/ trade is a real onboard volt meter they are inexpensive and fairly accurate when tested besides a volt meter. I have a link below. i also have done the Epsom salt thing which helps in desulphurization (videos on you tube) but i would also check my terminals. here is the link on the meters too
I have one of those but havent installed it yet. Not sure where I want to put it. Ill check out the Epsom salt thing thanks. Terminals are clean and tight.
Old 11-02-2015, 09:18 AM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny reb View Post

Nothing can actually reverse plate damage. Prevention is the only cure.

Epsom salt treatments do give a temporary improvement but 100% of these users reported buying a new battery pack soon after.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 09:52 AM   #7
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

The fact your batteries are only charged to 70% is only a symptom of an underlying problem, or problems. To prevent your next set of batteries from suffering the same fate, you need to identify the underlying problem(s).

Some of the more likely suspects are:
1. Charger not fully charging battery pack.
2. Battery pack being discharged excessively between charges.
3. Batteries being allowed to sit in a partially discharged state.
4. Batteries have been overfilled.

What Make/Model batteries?
What Make/Model charger?
How often was the battery pack charged?

----------
As for recovering some useful life from the batteries, Epsom salts and snake oil treatments ought to be a last resort because what they do is cause the sulfated surface of the plates to slough off to expose active material. The problem is that the sloughed off sludge is conductive and shorts out the cell if it doesn't fall to the bottom of the cell and stay there.

There are electronic desulfator devices that work in a more benign process.
http://batterylifesaver.com/

Also, charging back-to-back with an ordinary golf cart battery charger that is working properly, can produce amazing results with some batteries. (I got the 18 month old T-105 batteries that came with my used cart and would only charge to 85% to charge to 95% in a matter of weeks and the were charging close to 100% when I replaced them to go to 42V.)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 12:12 PM   #8
DaveTM
Gone Wild

JohnnieB is making good points and asking for valid info. Need more info. Sounds like your batteries were rode hard....and put away wet. Or...maybe dry. Well....you know....it's not good what happen.
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO