lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-08-2015, 04:25 PM   #1
Jryamaha
Not Yet Wild

Default 2002 g16 Yamaha stalling when hot

I am brand new to this forum, I bought a used cart in The Villages in Florida and been having problems, I am looking for some ideas on hat might be wrong, there are places to get them fixed here but they are all so busy and I am not here for a very long time.

When I go out and drive it for a long period of time it just stalls out, kind of like it's running out of gas, first thing is I am not sure weather it is a gas issue or a spark issue, is this the first thing I should iron out ?

By the way, it has new air filter, spark plug, belts, and oil.

Any I put would be great

Jeff
Jryamaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-08-2015, 09:03 PM   #2
Jryamaha
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 2002 g16 Yamaha stalling when hot

Update, I checked to see if there was a fuel problem, I disconnected the fuel line from the carburetor and put the hose in a cup, I turned it over and it pumped gas great, I tightened up the carb and it took a couple of turns on the wrench. The hoses looked pretty good. I took it for a test drive tonight and it ran good, but I did not go very far, it was dark and it seemed that the headlights kind of varied in brightness,

Any thoughts?

Any recommendations for a repair shop in the villages?
Old 11-09-2015, 09:34 AM   #3
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

TCI (coil) is bad. I have done tons of these over the years for this problem.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 03:09 PM   #4
Jryamaha
Not Yet Wild

Cgtech, thanks I read a ton of your posts last night and you said that you replaced a lot ton of these. I do have one question, do I have to take the flywheel off? I am very mechanical but I don't have a puller with me, I did read a post that said there are notches in the flywheel so that it makes it easier to get the bolts off the coil. Just wondering how easy it will be to set the spacing between the flywheel and the coil with the flywheel on. Get back to me when you can, going to tackle it in the morning. And I am going to put on the OEM coil just so there are not any problems.

Thanks again for the help,

Jeff
Old 11-09-2015, 06:48 PM   #5
cgtech

Yamaha

Nope, there is two sweet notches in the flywheel to allow your 10mm socket. I use a thin piece of single-layer cardboard (like matchbook cardboard) as a spacer, tighten bolts, manually turn flywheel 'till cardboard is ejected. There is a spec (i dont remember the number), but really its not too picky about gap.
Old 11-09-2015, 06:50 PM   #6
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

And you can use a match book cover as a feeler gauge
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 11:35 PM   #7
Jryamaha
Not Yet Wild

Thank you so much for all the info, I am going to tackle the coil first thing in the morning, I will post an update when I get it wrapped up, hope all goes well

Thanks again,
Jeff
Old 11-11-2015, 10:18 PM   #8
Jryamaha
Not Yet Wild

Update: I put a new coil on yesterday, everything went well but that bottom bolt on the flywheel cover was tough, thanks to all the posts the job went well. While I was doing it I replaced all the fuel lines, fuel filter and spark plug. The cart runs like a champ !!! It was in the 80s here today and I took it on a long drive and all is great.

I do have one more question if someone might know this one, it has always done this, when I go to take off in forward or reverse the engine starts then if you push the gas pedal kind of fast it jumps into gear, if you go real slow it does not do it. I have put brand new belts on and I believe the guy that had it before me put a new clutch on as well. Is there an adjustment for this ? Or is this just the way it is? When I have had loaner carts they don't do it but they are newer models.

Any input would be great and thanks again for all the help,
Old 11-11-2015, 10:52 PM   #9
cgtech

Yamaha

Pull diff cover & inspect gears & clutch dog. Probably past due for some fresh gear lube anyway.
Old 11-11-2015, 11:17 PM   #10
Jryamaha
Not Yet Wild

That sounds good, any ideas on what I should be looking for? Loose gears? Worn out? Etc?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha