lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-09-2015, 10:45 AM   #1
Bryce23
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default New (to me) 1978 (i think) E-Z-Go Marathon

I think the serial number makes this a '78 X-440 Marathon? Can anyone confirm?

I've started tearing into this over the weekend. Pulled out the back rests and have the cushions/metal trim removed. Ready to start seeing if this is worth putting more money into. (keep in mind i got this very cheap) I just want to bring it back to life and use it to haul stuff around our small 2.6 acre lot.

My first question is the battery charger, looks rough. I don't see any frays in the wires; or any noticeable rips in the cables. Is there anything else i should be looking for before plugging in? How do I know if the charger is doing anything? How do i know if the batteries are any good? None look to have exploded and none of the wiring under the seat looks like it has any damage. I think I'm just dealing with age here...

Any help would be great, thanks.

Bryce23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-09-2015, 11:03 AM   #2
That80sGuy
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: New (to me) 1978 (i think) E-Z-Go Marathon

For any cart.. look to see if the manual is posted on the site. You will need to invest in a digital multi-meter and learn how to measure voltages. Clean all the contacts and inspect cable connections. How old are the batteries? The cart body looks to be in decent shape. Post pics of the innards.
That80sGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 11:24 AM   #3
Bryce23
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

This is the best pic i have at the moment of under the seat. I will try to get close-ups and post in the next couple of days.

I'm sure the batteries are old... was just hoping to charge enough life into them to be able to tell if the motor runs. Obviously the thing wont roll with flat tires, I was thinking i needed to confirm the motor was good before investing in tires/tubes. Is checking the motor as simple as hooking it up to a live battery and seeing if it breathes life?

I have three battery chargers available, but wanted to use the one with the cart so I could charge the batteries through the cart.

Old 11-09-2015, 01:13 PM   #4
That80sGuy
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Hard to say if the carts charging system is working. A thorough inspection of the components is first order of business. I did see on the ezgo website that you can purchase a copy of the manual. Have you found the id plate with a serial number? You could take the batteries to an auto store and have them checked for free to see if they will hold a charge.
That80sGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 01:21 PM   #5
coosa
Gone Wild

Where do you live? I have 2 motors from that era, one from an 81 3-wheeler that looked like yours, and one from an 84 model. You can have one of them if you are close enough to AL to pick one up.

Good luck with getting her running!
coosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 01:51 PM   #6
Bryce23
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by That80sGuy View Post
Hard to say if the carts charging system is working. A thorough inspection of the components is first order of business. I did see on the ezgo website that you can purchase a copy of the manual. Have you found the id plate with a serial number? You could take the batteries to an auto store and have them checked for free to see if they will hold a charge.
That's a good idea with the auto store, I'm pretty sure the serial number dates this to May of '78. Which I believe is an X-440 Marathon. I will have to do what i can to check the batteries this week and see what i can manage over the weekend. I'm already in the doghouse storing this thing in the garage so the sooner I can show progress with mobility or a running motor the better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coosa View Post
Where do you live? I have 2 motors from that era, one from an 81 3-wheeler that looked like yours, and one from an 84 model. You can have one of them if you are close enough to AL to pick one up.

Good luck with getting her running!
I am in Southeast KS... so a bit out of my range. Hopefully the motor is still good. I will try and take some better pictures of the batteries and motor and see what you guys think.
Old 11-09-2015, 01:54 PM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Looks like a late model charge receptacle with 2 blades / \ (crowsfoot)
There was an ID tag on the passenger side of the floor console. The last 2 digits of the manufacture code are the year the cart was made. These carts were made until 1993. A picture looking down upon all the batteries would help.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 02:00 PM   #8
Bryce23
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
There was an ID tag on the passenger side of the floor console. The last 2 digits of the manufacture code are the year the cart was made. These carts were made until 1993. A picture looking down upon all the batteries would help.
Interesting; i found the below information and had assumed this cart was from '78. The serial number matches this format:

Format 1: 781211 123456 (1978 Model)
  • 1st/2nd digits = year of production (1978 )
  • 2nd/3rd digits = 12th month of production
  • 4th/5th digits = day of month (11th day)
  • Six digits at end = sequential number off the production line
Old 11-09-2015, 02:02 PM   #9
Bryce23
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Picture of the Charger... lost cause? Or can I take it apart, ensure it is cleaned out and replace some wires/plugs?

Old 11-09-2015, 02:11 PM   #10
Bryce23
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
I zoomed in on one of my other photos, looks like a three bladed receptacle? I will try and get closer pictures when I get back home tonight.

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO