lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-09-2015, 03:00 PM   #11
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: New (to me) 1978 (i think) E-Z-Go Marathon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryce23 View Post
Picture of the Charger... lost cause? Or can I take it apart, ensure it is cleaned out and replace some wires/plugs?
Contrary to saying "Automatic Charger" on the face-plate, that is a manual charger with timer.

Turn the dial to ON and it runs for 12 hours whether connected to cart or not.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Manual Charger - With Timer.jpg (88.9 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-09-2015, 04:00 PM   #12
That80sGuy
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
Contrary to saying "Automatic Charger" on the face-plate, that is a manual charger with timer.

Turn the dial to ON and it runs for 12 hours whether connected to cart or not.
Instead of running it for 12hrs..couldn't he just test the output of the charger with a meter?
That80sGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 04:03 PM   #13
That80sGuy
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Picture of the Charger... lost cause? Or can I take it apart, ensure it is cleaned out and replace some wires/plugs?

I would open it up and use some compressed air on that charger.
Old 11-09-2015, 04:25 PM   #14
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Get a charger - from this century ! I am slightly wrong on the charger plug the second pic posted clearly shows a 220v AC Dryer recepticale which does accept the crowsfoot DC charger plug used throughout the 1980s & into the 90s on CC, Ezgo, and other makes
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 04:41 PM   #15
Bryce23
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Get a charger - from this century ! I am slightly wrong on the charger plug the second pic posted clearly shows a 220v AC Dryer recepticale which does accept the crowsfoot DC charger plug used throughout the 1980s & into the 90s on CC, Ezgo, and other makes
Unfortunately I think the price of a new charger would put me well off "budget". Did I mention I was already a foot into the dog house when this thing showed up two days ago? I promised the wife I would keep my "projects" on my side of the garage so she can still park her vehicle inside. Despite her disinterest in the idea of this project she has kept an especially keen eye out for any related expenses. Usually I can operate under the radar but I'm under quite a bit of surveillance with this one.
Bryce23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 04:54 PM   #16
That80sGuy
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

There are lots of low cost things you can do to diagnose..maybe even get it running. You will have to spend some to get the cart going and make it reliable. Good news is you can always put the cart up for sale and recover most of what you have in it...or break even...maybe make a profit.
Old 11-09-2015, 05:16 PM   #17
Bryce23
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Yeah, I don't mind the overall cost so much as I do trying to hide a 300$ charger.

If I spend 50 to 100 here and there making small repairs over time; that's fine. But large expenditures all at once will put me 6 feet under ground.
Old 11-09-2015, 07:07 PM   #18
Bryce23
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Pictures of the charger and "innards"; I think I'm going to go ahead and plug it in and see what happens. Maybe... Just maybe it'll breathe some life into this thing.

Old 11-09-2015, 07:15 PM   #19
That80sGuy
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Actually..it looks pretty good. Like I said.. clean ALL the contacts first.
Old 11-10-2015, 10:46 AM   #20
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Pictures of the charger and "innards"; I think I'm going to go ahead and plug it in and see what happens. Maybe... Just maybe it'll breathe some life into this thing.
I believe you have either a first or a second generation of the ferroresonant transformer type chargers. I'm not sure if there was a completely manual one that came first and the manual w/timer came secomd, or if the manual w/timer was actually the first. There are at least three versions of the manual w/timer, but I believe you have the oldest version. The next later one had a fuse on the AC input and the version after that also had a fuse or breaker in the DC output.

The attached charge profile is designed into the matched transformer and capacitor pair. Your charger is designed to charge Trojan batteries and Trojan battery clones.

If the transformer is good, everything else is replaceable. Maybe not with an exact replacement part, but with parts that are equal or better.
The actual battery charger consists of three parts, Transformer, Capacitor and Diodes.

Also attached is how to check the transformer and capacitor. (Your charger doesn't have a control board with relay, so disregard the "Jumper" on the third attachment, just turn the timer to ON.)

The press fit diodes can be replaced with 1N1184 (or better) stud mount diodes. You just have to bore holes in the heat sink for the studs.

The capacitor should be the same µF value as whatever is in it. Use a motor run capacitor of that value from your local electric supply. (Don't use a motor start capacitor, they are for intermittent duty)

Let me know what you find when you dig into the charger.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Charge curve.JPG (33.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Transformer-Capacitor test - Text-1.jpg (367.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Transformer-Capacitor test.JPG (66.2 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO