lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-22-2015, 08:31 PM   #1
matsdt
Not Yet Wild

Default Batteries Arc

I have replaced my batteries in my 36volt EZCart, year unknown, and noticed when I connected the last cable there was a substantial arc. That was 4 weeks ago. After two weeks one of the battery posts had pretty much melted down. I replaced that battery thinking it was defective only to have it happen again to another battery two weeks after that. Now I have replaced the second battery as well as the controller on my cart. I still get a substantial arc when I connect the last battery. I placed the toggle switch to "tow" and I don't get the arc, but I'm afraid when I toggle back to "run" I'll burn up another battery. I've double checked the battery hookup and I have no auxiliary equipment on the cart. Could the solenoid have anything to do with it?

I have owned the cart for a year and the old batteries, other than being worn out, never had a problem.

Thanks, Mike
matsdt is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-22-2015, 08:57 PM   #2
Hecky50
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Batteries Arc

I would go over all the connections again. make sure they are all tight, i use lock washers to make sure they don't vibrate loose. Always put the switch in tow when working on your batteries.
Hecky50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 10:56 PM   #3
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Sounds like a loose connection OR a resistance problem... You could have an issue WITHIN the cable or cables themselves. Corrosion can build up inside a cable and cause substantial resistance to build up in the cable itself. Get out the multi-meter and set to read OHMS test your leads by touching them together and make note of the resistance should be something like 0.1 or 0.2 ohms. Now test each cable one at a time the same way if you find any with much higher you have found your culprit.
teecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 09:14 AM   #4
matsdt
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the advice...I'm going to replace all the battery cables and see if that helps. Some eye ends have worn thin and the cables could also be corroded.
matsdt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 10:27 AM   #5
radioman
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

A missing or open pre-charge resistor across the big solenoid terminals can allow a big spark when connecting the last connection on batteries but it wouldn't cause post to melt.
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 10:44 AM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

If there is a Run/Tow switch, you either have a DCS drive or a PDS drive and whenever you connect or disconnect anything electrical, the Run/Tow switch should be in the Tow position. Otherwise, you might destroy the controller.

A melted post is due to excessive resistance in the connection.
Any cable of connection that get more than slightly warm, is bad and need to be fixed or replaced.

Repeated melted battery posts can be bad cables and connections, but can also be caused by over-tightening the nuts on the battery studs.
Max torque is 105 in/lb, which is only 8.75 ft/lb.

The studs are actually hex head bolts with the head embedded in the lead post.
Lead is a very soft metal and if you tighten too much, the head will twist in the lead. When that happens, only the six points of the hex head make electrical contact and you have excessive resistance, so it heats up when Amps flow through it, melting the battery post.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO