lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-22-2015, 02:29 PM   #1
weaselorlando
Not Yet Wild
Mixed Breed

Default Low Voltage beep

I have a 2005 TXT Pds standard cart. Going up a steep hill I am getting a 2 - beep pattern. I charged the batteries and waited about 24 and have the following readings.

Read the pack voltage going up a small hill and it slowly dropped to about 34.5 while we accelerated.
Went up the step hill that gives me the beep. With about 350 lbs the voltage drops to 30.4 and it did beep. What do you think
weaselorlando is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-23-2015, 09:07 AM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Low Voltage beep

The sum of the individual battery voltages is 39.12V while the pack voltage is 38.9V, and with the cart sitting still, the current draw is very low, so the cables connecting the batteries in series appear to have excessive resistance.

I and of themselves, the batteries in a 36V pack will drop about 1.0V per 100A of current draw and a stock PDS controller passes 300A max, so having an 8.5V drop from 38.9V to 30.4V means at least 5.5V are being dropped by the high current cables, connections and contacts. Since the motor motor isn't likely to be drawing 300A if the cart is move faster than about 5 MPH, the voltage drop across the cables, connections and contacts is probably a greater percentage of the total voltage drop.

All 10 of the high current cables ought to be 4Ga or thicker and on a 2005 PDS, you might find some of the cables are 6Ga.

The stock (85A) solenoid can also become a bottleneck.

-------------
There is also the possibility that one or more of the batteries is failing under load.
Attach your voltmeter to one battery at a time and monitor voltage while driving up the same hill. The voltage drop for each battery should be the same.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 12:24 PM   #3
mutant
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

i have a 2001 txt series cart and i have a stock controller and motor...i have upgraded the cables to 2gauge/600 strand welding cable and the batteries are all 1 ought(bigger) a hd solenoid and hd f/r switch from scottyb....the cart is so much better than before...
i also got a digital volt meter from scottyb and i have a very steep hill here that my cart will hit 40mph downhill on if i dont brake-going uphill it drops to about 6mph with me and on a full pack charge(39.6v) it will drop to around 34.0v or less with more weight on it...
i highly recommend getting a 2 gauge cable set from scottyb before continuing to trouble shoot this-i have seen this kit on my friends cart and it is a work of art...also make sure ALL cable connections are cleaned...
good luck!
mutant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 06:16 PM   #4
weaselorlando
Not Yet Wild
Mixed Breed

The cables were all fairly tight and very clean. The 5 battery interconnects cables where upgraded new in the spring to 4 awg. The 2 cables from the battery pack to controller are still 6 awg as is the short cable from the controller to the solenoid. I changed the solenoid this spring, but stayed with a stock one. I checked the batteries under a load and they all dropped about the same. They went from approximately 6.2 to 5.6. I am going to retest this tomorrow as it was getting dark and I was rushed. I will post more accurate numbers.
weaselorlando is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries test, low voltage
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO