lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-27-2015, 06:28 PM   #11
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: What else is needed?

A PDS (Precision Drive System) cart uses a SepEx (SEParately EXcited) motor and tends to be faster than a Series Drive cart, which has a series wound motor. However a series cart tends to have more low end torque.

If your cart is, in fact, a 2002 model and the direction selector is a rocker switch by the keyswitch, it is a PDS. If the direction selector is a level by the driver's right knee, it is a series cart.

A golf cart is designed to carry two players and their clubs over about six miles of groomed trails at about 14MPH (18MPH for PDS) on 18" tires, in eighteen increments of about 200 yards each. If you want to do much more than that with it, some upgrades will be needed.

The write-up at this website has a pretty good overview of how much upgrading is needed for the different ways carts are used: http://www.cartsunlimited.net/tech-help-upgrades.html

With 20" tires, you probably won't have to lift the cart, but with tires over 20" you will.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-27-2015, 06:59 PM   #12
Adawg
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

From what has been posted, it looks like I have a PDS since the FR switch is indeed a rocker on the dash. I did replace with new batteries (dang $$$$). Now I want to play with it. Two questions...

1. If I don't lift it and just run 20 10 10 wheels, will I lose significant height versus a 6" lift plus 20" wheels? If not I guess I could use the money from the lift and upgrade the cables right out the gate.

2. Will any stock atv wheels with a 4 bolt pattern fit?
Adawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 08:56 AM   #13
Adawg
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I know there are lots of threads on wheel size, but will a 20 11 10 fit if I don't lift? I'm bidding on a set on eBay. I'm a bit surprised at the cost to modify. I know I got the cart for free, but after batteries, wheels, cables, controller etc. we're talking some serious cash.

Anyone selling wheels out there lol.
Old 12-28-2015, 10:48 AM   #14
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adawg View Post
I know there are lots of threads on wheel size, but will a 20 11 10 fit if I don't lift? I'm bidding on a set on eBay. I'm a bit surprised at the cost to modify. I know I got the cart for free, but after batteries, wheels, cables, controller etc. we're talking some serious cash.

if you are talking about wheels that will be right at 20" tall.....you will be fine as far as not having to upgrade the drive system.....and they will fit without having to lift it. its the largest size recommended you should go with, without a lift.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 11:12 AM   #15
Skydo
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:

The least expensive thing I did with my cart was purchase it for $500. It all depends on what you are looking to do with it. I my case I take it out in the woods so I needed to lift it, then get the motor, controller, etc to provide the torque to get it up and down the hills with the lift and bigger tires. If I was just driving it around the campground and neighborhood I would have only replaced the battery cables that needed replacing. You're right, guy can drop some serious money into a cart. It all depends on what you want the cart to do for you to determine what you need to do for it.
Skydo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 12:02 PM   #16
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

...and ALWAYS build for the worst case scenario you expect to encounter.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 12:14 PM   #17
Adawg
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

So glad I found this board. You guys are a great help. If I can get the wheels for a bargain, I'll lift and do cables. Then move on to controller etc. got to pace myself ��
Old 12-28-2015, 12:26 PM   #18
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
From what has been posted, it looks like I have a PDS since the FR switch is indeed a rocker on the dash. I did replace with new batteries (dang $$$$). Now I want to play with it. Two questions...

1. If I don't lift it and just run 20 10 10 wheels, will I lose significant height versus a 6" lift plus 20" wheels? If not I guess I could use the money from the lift and upgrade the cables right out the gate.

2. Will any stock atv wheels with a 4 bolt pattern fit?
1. The lowest point on the cart is the bottom of the differential and you will have exactly the same ground clearance at the differential with 20" tires whether the carts body is lifted off the axles or not.

Lifting a cart, keeps tire taller than 20" from rubbing rather than ground clearance. Lifting also increases the height of objects that can be climbed over and ditches that can be climbed out of without high-centering the cart.

Lifting the body of a cart off the axles also raises the center of gravity of a narrow track, short wheelbase vehicle, making it less stable laterally and longitudinally.

2. Some will, some won't. Depends on the lug spacing. Also depend on the center offset.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 09:29 PM   #19
Adawg
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Looks like I found a new hobby
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO