lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-18-2016, 12:48 AM   #1
mstang1988
Not Yet Wild

Default Advice on my next Cart

It's been a few years (12) since I've had a cart. My last cart was an 82 club car 36v resistor system my brother and I rebuilt when we were in HS. I have finally convinced my wife that we need a new cart.

My usecase:
Driving around the neighborhood 95%+ of the time. It's flat overall, a few small hills, nothing steep. The other 5% of the time off road when camping etc.

Knowns:
* A lifted club car with 4 seats or more.
* I would prefer to get around 25" tires but might end up with 23" inch pending street friendly options. I really like the kanati mongrel tires but might have to find something smaller
* All Sport or Jakes Lift Kit. Most likely A-Arm but possibly long travel

I would like to be ~20mph or more and still have good ummph offroad and up hills.

I have been considering a couple options for a cart.
* Pick something up off craigslist that runs; 48v for the cheapest price in not awful condition
* Pick up a 36v non controller cart and upgrade
* pick up a 36v/48v beater and fix it up
* My brother in FL has an IQ cart. I don't remember what's wrong with it but it would be just shipping for acquiring the IQ DS. Guessing that is 300-500 ish. It does need work as it's well used.

If I put lift on and 25's an IQ cart and speed mode 4 how much would it suck up hills? I could also do a controller upgrade if that makes the plan viable or consider a lithium battery pack and drop ~500lbs.

Are there after market motors that will still support REGEN? I wouldn't mind retaining that ability.

Any suggestions on what cart path to take to meet my goals and why you suggest it?
mstang1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-18-2016, 01:16 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Advice on my next Cart

Stick with a sepex drive cart for this application. Much easier to get the speed you want. .

Go here to learn what is sepex and what is series drive > http://www.cartsunlimited.net/tech-help-upgrades.html
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 01:38 AM   #3
mstang1988
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Stick with a sepex drive cart for this application. Much easier to get the speed you want. .

Go here to learn what is sepex and what is series drive > http://www.cartsunlimited.net/tech-help-upgrades.html
Thanks scottyb! With the large tires and the sepex drive what kind of speeds should I expect up hills etc (with stock controller, with modded controller)
mstang1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 08:41 AM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

If you read the page I sent you to you know big tires rob torque and hill is a relative term Generally, all carts slow on hills. Stock controls are engineered for stock tires and moderate golf course terrain. When the tire size is increased torque (power) is reduced.
A 20% bigger tire results in an equal reduction in power.
A 30% bigger speed control allows access to that much more amperage which the motor can use to make an equal amount of additional torque. Up to the point where the battery pack has no more to give or the motor is maxed out by design.
When upgrading the controller Sepex carts will see an increase in speed because the stock controls limit motor rpm.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car