lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-09-2016, 07:29 PM   #1
jbsmith05
Gone Wild

Default Theft - Key Switch

Since the club car uses the same key has anyone done anything to help deter theft? Either by changing to a key switch more like a car's or something else.

I'm wondering if just putting in a couple of toggles...one where the key is now and a remote one somewhere so that if someone wanted to hotwire it they'd have to find that second switch as well.

Mine is used mostly in the neighborhood around the parks so I could see someone potentially jumping in and running off with it...

Looking to see what others have thought/done.
jbsmith05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-09-2016, 08:04 PM   #2
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Default Re: Theft - Key Switch

I don't see why a hidden toggle in the key switch line would be a problem. Why would you eliminate the key switch? They wouldn't even need a key if you did that. Never had a problem, but I thought about hiding a toggle for the cart I use at the beach.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 08:12 PM   #3
jbsmith05
Gone Wild

Yeah I suppose just adding a hidden toggle would be just as good or better.
Old 10-09-2016, 08:20 PM   #4
Twizted1
Not Yet Wild

So the switch would have to be hidden way before the key switch, correct? If it was to close it would be easily found. Just trying to understand.
Twizted1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 08:26 PM   #5
jbsmith05
Gone Wild

Yeah thinking of putting a switch under the seat or under the floorboard...it could be before or after the key switch, it would have the same affect - but perhaps some adverse affects on other components.
Old 10-09-2016, 09:56 PM   #6
Htownblue
Gone Wild

Club Car

I put kill switches in all the carts I build. I use a black rocker toggle switch and drill a hol in the dash on the left side of the dash compartment nearest the ridge where it rises up. This hides the switch very well and unless you knew what it was for or where it was, you couldn't start cart.
Htownblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 11:56 PM   #7
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

I work in a campground with hundreds of people carrying around the same stock Club Car key. There are individually keyed ignition locks available, I've got a lock cylinder from NAPA in my cart now. I've seen a few where the original ignition lock is still there in the dash but they've added another simple two terminal on/off keyed switch in the side of the glove box compartment. As mentioned even a rocker or toggle switch cold be hidden enough to be a deterrent.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 07:31 AM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

If you put a switch under the seat then people will see you lift the seat and flip the switch each time you get on/off the cart. Won't take twice for them to figure out what is going on. Auto Zone has $10 unique key switches.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 07:32 AM   #9
Swan
Cave Dweller

Club Car

i put in a barrel key and a hidden kill switch off the controller and i have a steering wheel club if i want complete coverage . its rolls well in a circle lol
Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 07:49 AM   #10
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

If it were not for the voltage difference it would too easy to install a fob controlled relay to take the place of your key switch. So you would just pull out your fob and turn your cart on or off... I can find them in 12 and 24 volts so I'm thinking that a 24 volt unit may be worth funning around with to see how it holds up...
teecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car