lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-19-2018, 04:05 PM   #11
joesam
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: 2010 Precedent Battery Issue

The best load tester you can find - is your cart itself. Driving up a steep hill - or with brakes applied firmly (but without stopping the cart) will put a big amp load on your batteries (and system overall, really). With a high amp load you can easily determine once and for all, whether you have a battery issue.

Hook your voltmeter to each battery one-at-a-time and drive uphill (or while braking) . Put the meter on the seat next to you where you can easily see it. The bad battery(ies?) will drop their voltage way more than the others. If none of them drop steeply - look for other causes.
joesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-19-2018, 04:22 PM   #12
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfbag1999 View Post
On another issue, I saw a post about the orange battery light, which generated a question for me. I removed this light to put in my SOC gauge, is it OK to do this? I still have the OBC in use.
Gazoo is correct, the light was a communication feature that would blink codes, but not so important that you cannot interpret what they were trying to say by the means you are now using.

It would for:
Less than 90%
Loss of AC power (Interruption)
Low charge
Trouble codes
etc. etc.

The later amber lights also created a communication portal for the hand held devices to get readings like hours, last charge, etc.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 04:47 PM   #13
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

Wonder if the obc will work correctly without the light.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 05:39 PM   #14
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Hmm.... Good point, but as far as I know they do, but I have never verified that other than people that removed them, the chargers still responded as they appeared to before hand....

I went and looked at the diagrams and read some more on them and it seems they are just for indication and do not create an issue. If we are mistaken, Tahoe or Sergio will clue us in....
Old 03-19-2018, 06:17 PM   #15
golfbag1999
Not Yet Wild

I never saw any indications from the light even when the car would not move due to the batteries running completely down

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
golfbag1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 07:34 PM   #16
reeseman44
QualityCarts

Club Car

It's pretty terrible for your batteries to be run down to the point your cart won't move. You very well could have damaged one of them. You've stated that one of the batteries drops to 7.5 under load , while the others stay at 7.8/7.9....pretty sure you may have found your problem, and what caused it, right there.
reeseman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 11:15 AM   #17
golfbag1999
Not Yet Wild

So...did a driving load test on the battery pack today and everything seems balanced. All 6 batteries started at 8.3 (did a little driving around before the test, when I left the house battery 1 was at 8.5). Did the test on a long, fairly steep grade. Batteries under load, 1=7.6, 2=7.5, 3=7.5, 4=7.4/7.5, 5=7.5 and 6=7.4/7.5. There was no dramatic drop to this voltage, just a gradual decline from the 8.3 starting point.

Thoughts
Old 03-23-2018, 01:15 PM   #18
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

That's ~45v's or so, but if it was a steep incline (>30 degrees), that's good, but if it was just a little slope (~10-15 degrees) that is a pretty good drop on a fresh pack. And there are many variables as in, how long were you going, how much pedal, size tires, etc. that all play into that.

But in all honesty, you are pretty much at what that pack can do for you unless we are overlooking something.
Old 03-23-2018, 03:14 PM   #19
golfbag1999
Not Yet Wild

OK, I took it out for further testing, don't know % of incline, but the hill is about 40 ft rise in elevation over about 200 ft. Tires are standard 8", about half pedal, and each battery dropped to 7.2/7.3, again no sharp drop in voltage.
I am grateful for all the comments and suggestions, so I may just have to keep using it and see how it performs as the weather warms. And if it continues I may have to look "Onward"!
Old 03-23-2018, 05:54 PM   #20
joesam
Gone Wild
Club Car

Although CR165 isn't their most powerful battery, they certainly should handle a round of golf without problems. Those readings basically look reasonable. Assuming your not driving 5 miles to the golf course before playing it almost seems like they are starting out undercharged. If you haven't already its worth resetting your obc by removing pack negative for 10 minutes before reconnecting and charging a full cycle.

If that doesnt work you've either got dragging brakes or a very amp hungry motor. But these are just guesses honestly.
joesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car