lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-15-2018, 10:28 AM   #21
Sgregg87
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Advise on upgrading to 700a FSIP controller 0-5k

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
I think you have all the information available. It will increase speed and decrease torque. A typical speed/torque trade off. It requires a bigger than stock Speed control which means it will draw more amperage. A bigger than stock speed controller will require an upgraded solenoid, and may require an upgraded F&R and cable set to balance the amperage delivery system and avoid failure.
Thanks Scottyb. I just installed the motor about 2 weeks ago, and am still on the stock Curtis 225 amp controller. I am seeing around 25-26mph with a little less torque at the very bottom end. Mid-range is ok, and will get up to about 20 fairly quick, at which point it starts to creep slowly towards the top. I am now looking to upgrade the controller and other essential components to complement the setup, and would like to see more TQ and hopefully a tad more top end. I see that you offer some controller packages yourself... for an older 0-5k series cart, would you recommend one of the 700 FSIP controllers, or splurge and go for an alltrax setup? Also, any experience and info on what performance I should expect from the end result would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again Scottyb,
Sean Gregg
Sgregg87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-15-2018, 11:13 AM   #22
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I was going to stay out of this discussion. But you ask me directly and I am an Alltrax & FSIP dealer. We sold hundreds of the FSIP Star (later aka GE controllers). We used them in our 0-5k resistor conversion kits for a period of about 5 years. Everybody liked FSIP's simple screwdriver amperage and throttle rate adjustments... although a few users managed to mash or break the pot adjustment rather than turn it. The only issue I had with this control was it lack of ability to handle a wet environment. It seems there we QQ issues with potting that let moisture in around the penetrations. This led to controller failure in wet environments. When these failed controls were sent to the factory the 1 yr warranty was categorically denied. There in lied a problem.
Alltrax released the SR controller about this time..... kicking off the introduction with video of the controller in a frozen tub of water running a cart around. As the water melted the cart continued to run. Alltrax also offered a 2 yr warranty with their almost zero warranty denial policy.
Last week a customer forgot to tighten a motor cable down on controller M- and melted the terminal horribly. Alltrax gave him a new controller saying we know the damage is not our fault but we are gifting you a new controller.
I'm not guaranteeing this response should you do the same thing. But I am saying this policy is the polar opposite of what we experienced with FSIP.
Couple that with 10 reasons your next controller should be an Alltrax and you will find it hard to buy anything else without feeling like you got less.

ABOUT ALLTRAX CONTROLS
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 11:23 AM   #23
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

POW!!

And the crowd roars...

That is just me cutting fool Sean, but all jokes aside and as scottyb just articulated, it is just hard to beat the "Bang for your Buck" right now with the Alltrax systems. (And if you had an IQ/SepEx cart there are many more in the XCT line)

But the bottom line is still what "You" want and we are all respective of that...

Good Luck with whatever you do and let us know your end results.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 12:59 PM   #24
Sgregg87
Not Yet Wild

Thank you both for taking the time to assist, and educate me. I really do appreciate it. I was just browsing your website, Scottyb, and am most likely going to be placing an order with you soon . The only question that remains is which Alltrax unit/package will capture the full potential of the new D&D motor I recently installed? (model # is previous post)

Big Thanks,
Sean Gregg
Old 05-15-2018, 02:08 PM   #25
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

You've got the motor, so get the SR500 or 600 (I would get the 600 and you can adjust it down in you want) as they both have the attached cooling fans and plenty of power for what ever you do to the cart down the road....

Cables, solenoid, and anything else you want can be done at the same time.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 03:33 PM   #26
Sgregg87
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFan4Ever View Post
You've got the motor, so get the SR500 or 600 (I would get the 600 and you can adjust it down in you want) as they both have the attached cooling fans and plenty of power for what ever you do to the cart down the road....

Cables, solenoid, and anything else you want can be done at the same time.
Thank you. The SR500 with solenoid bundle that Scottyb offers is what I was leaning towards. Does anybody know what amperage this motor of mine can handle? Wonder if it would accept more than 500, in which case the SR600 would be a better choice.

Also, what are the different types of parameters that can be programmed into the unit via the free software?

Thanks guys,
Sean Gregg
Old 05-15-2018, 03:59 PM   #27
NCPW
Just Gone

Club Car

I'm sure it would more than handle the amperage the SR600 offers. I'd go with that one for the price difference.

You could always call D&D and ask their advise.
NCPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 04:04 PM   #28
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Keep in mind that anything over 300 amps will definitely not do anything for top speed (motor physics).

The high current is only used for low speed high torque (unless you do field shortening, which is not recommended).

Unless You are planning on pulling a boat or other large load, the 500 amps Controller will be more than enough and it comes with a fan.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 04:43 PM   #29
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Agreed. 500 amps is the most popular choice for series carts with all motors. Some say a lead acid battery pack cannot give up any more than 500 amps at once anyway. But we do stock the SR48600 and some motor manufactures do recommend using them. Calling the motor manufacture to confirm your choice is always a good idea.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 12:17 PM   #30
Sgregg87
Not Yet Wild

Thanks everyone!!! Probably going with the SR500. I will post results once its in.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car