lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-28-2019, 08:53 AM   #1
CoolDaddy
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default club car charger doesn't activate

I have a 48 Volt Club Car DS. I replaced all 6 batteries. Cart runs as expected. When I plug the charger in I hear the relay click and amp meter jumps a little but it does not power on the charger. I haven't been able to get access to another charger but have gone thru this one with all the checks and all is good relay, diodes, fuses, wiring continuity and AC input voltage. checked relay by plugging DC cable to cart verifying relay changed from open to close and stayed closed. I ran a 12 guage jumper from battery - to the OBC side black wire of the cart plug and the charger kicked on to 15 amps as expected.
I have also check the fuses on the back of cart plug and the gray wire. Ohmed from the gray wire fuse thru the plug and it had continuity.
Battery Pack Voltage: 49.5
DC Cart Plug: Red/Black = 36.8V, Gray/Black 12.3, Gray/Red 49.0V

I was surprised that the Red/Black at the plug was not 49V. My next check will be the wiring from the plug to OBC and the 4 guage battery - to the OBC.

Any thoughts or suggestions? I'm hoping it's not the OBC.
CoolDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-28-2019, 09:38 AM   #2
Golferdave
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: club car charger doesn't activate

Did it work before you put in new batts?
Golferdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 10:23 AM   #3
CoolDaddy
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

That's a tough call. It worked last summer. Over the winter I just charged sparingly. I heard the click but didn't check the amp meter. When I looked to charge them for spring I noticed some of the batts had brown ooze and charger wasn't working. I decided to change the batts.
Old 03-28-2019, 11:43 AM   #4
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Running the jumper from the receptacle black wire to the battery pack negative is a quick bypass of the OBC, and pretty much confirms the OBC has failed.

The only other thing you might check is the condition of the black 10awg wire that comes out of the OBC to the B- terminal at the controller, where the battery pack negative cable attaches. If there is a poor connection there, it can cause a charging issue.
Based on the batteries having been damaged over the winter and the charge problem, it would make sense to me that the OBC failed and probably caused the damage to the batteries.
Best option is a new smart charger.

When measuring voltage at the charge receptacle, it will not show true battery voltage when checking voltage with the meter probes inserted directly in the red and black wire pins in the receptacle. There is resistance in the black wire as it goes through semi-conductor circuits in the OBC before it goes to battery negative.

You should still have full battery voltage if measuring from the Red wire pin at the receptacle to main battery pack negative post.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 02:35 PM   #5
CoolDaddy
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks for the info. It confirmed some of my thoughts. I will check the wiring just to make sure. Would the OBC being out effect anything else? I see that it controls the voltages.
what about reverse buzzer, regen, speed kit. I have noticed that when going uphill it really slows down. On flat it runs fine. I expect some slowdown but I think it's excessive. I may have to open another thread for that.
I'm just trying to decide if it makes more sense to replace the OBC (if it would affect anything else) or get a smart charger. I prefer the smart charger option.
Old 03-28-2019, 06:19 PM   #6
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolDaddy View Post
Thanks for the info. It confirmed some of my thoughts. I will check the wiring just to make sure. Would the OBC being out effect anything else? I see that it controls the voltages.
what about reverse buzzer, regen, speed kit. I have noticed that when going uphill it really slows down. On flat it runs fine. I expect some slowdown but I think it's excessive. I may have to open another thread for that.
I'm just trying to decide if it makes more sense to replace the OBC (if it would affect anything else) or get a smart charger. I prefer the smart charger option.
It's gonna slow down some depending on the hill. What's the year of the cart? And is it a Series drive or Sepex drive system?
Series drive will have a lever style FnR switch.
Sepex drive will have a rocker button FnR switch, and a Run/Tow switch under the seat.

The only thing the OBC affects is the lockout of the controller during charging. Without a 48V input the controller will stay in lockout and will not allow the cart to drive, but this is easy to fix, and typically can easily be connected with the new charger so the controller stays in lockout while the charger is connected, if you want/need that function.
If you don't need it, its just a matter of connecting two wires at the old OBC plug when the OBC is removed.
Old 03-29-2019, 10:30 AM   #7
CoolDaddy
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

It's a 97 DS Sepex drive. Slow down just seems excessive. It's more on a gentle incline maybe 5-10 degrees. Almost to the point where you can walk it faster.

I think I have the info I need on the OBC. Just have to decide which way I want to go. Thanks for the help. This board rocks.

By the way Nice Fish.
Old 03-29-2019, 11:22 AM   #8
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolDaddy View Post
It's a 97 DS Sepex drive. Slow down just seems excessive. It's more on a gentle incline maybe 5-10 degrees. Almost to the point where you can walk it faster.

I think I have the info I need on the OBC. Just have to decide which way I want to go. Thanks for the help. This board rocks.

By the way Nice Fish.
What You describe sounds more like the Dynamic Brake Solenoid getting stuck open on that old Regen system.

Does the resistor coil on the drivers side get red hot while driving?
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 11:44 AM   #9
CoolDaddy
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I'll have to check them. I don't remember ever seeing the coils. I assuming they are above the motor from what I can find online. I'll check it out this weekend.
Old 03-29-2019, 11:47 AM   #10
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Like Sergio said, check the resistor coil. That will tell you if the dynamic brake solenoid is stuck.

Another possibility could be damage or incorrect adjustment of the V-glide, which would not send full throttle signal to the controller. If you're not getting full throttle command to the controller it will be slow to accelerate, but will eventually get to full speed. And then it will be very slow trying to go up a hill.

Tags
charger problems, charger relay click
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car