lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-09-2019, 07:39 AM   #1
LoudLowNslow
Not Yet Wild

Default 98 Club Car DS speed upgrade??

What’s up y’all. Excuse my ignorance, but I’m working on my moms 98 club car DS 48v and she would like more torque & speed. What are my best options here? The only other electric cart I’ve done was my stepfathers old 36v DS, which we used scotty b’s 48v conversion. This is different though because it’s not a resistor cart, so I don’t think I need a conversion kit? I see controllers online but is that all I need? A plug and play $500 controller?
Any help would be appreciated
Thanks
LoudLowNslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-09-2019, 07:52 AM   #2
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Default Re: 98 Club Car DS speed upgrade??

Is that a Series or Regen2 cart? (FNR Lever or Fwd/Rev Rocker switch & Run/Tow switch)

Series you can probably just upgrade her motor and feel a good difference in both torque and speed. https://www.revolutiongolfcars.com/p...ries-48v-22mph

Or a PlumQuick Bandit Upgrade https://plumquick.com/bandit-electric-motor-golf-cart/

Regen2 you can get an Alltrax Regen2 controller made for that cart and get more speed, torque and user controlability. https://www.revolutiongolfcars.com/motor-controllers

Of course with either you can go all-in with a motor, controller, solenoid, cables, etc. but that will be a lot more than $500.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 09:49 AM   #3
LoudLowNslow
Not Yet Wild

It has a forward reverse lever not a switch
Old 06-09-2019, 01:12 PM   #4
LoudLowNslow
Not Yet Wild

Just trying to figure out my best option for around 500, so just a motor upgrade is my best bet?
Old 06-09-2019, 01:30 PM   #5
noserider
Gone Wild
Club Car

Whats's the speed now?
noserider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 02:31 PM   #6
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudLowNslow View Post
Just trying to figure out my best option for around 500, so just a motor upgrade is my best bet?
That is a Series cart. Click on the links i provided you and see what you like. The PQ Bandit would probably be my choice....
Old 06-09-2019, 02:33 PM   #7
LoudLowNslow
Not Yet Wild

Not sure of current speed. Has brand new batteries, more interested in getting more torque of it. The campground were at has big hills, so trying to improve that if anything. I just want to order something today and don’t want to regret the purchase! Would I benefit more from an upgraded motor, or do they sell plug and play controllers for a 98 with a forward reverse lever?
Old 06-09-2019, 02:40 PM   #8
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Quote:
Not sure of current speed. Has brand new batteries, more interested in getting more torque of it. The campground were at has big hills, so trying to improve that if anything. I just want to order something today and don’t want to regret the purchase! Would I benefit more from an upgraded motor, or do they sell plug and play controllers for a 98 with a forward reverse lever?
Look here https://www.revolutiongolfcars.com/c...-club-car-ds-i for Series upgrades. Call David and talk to him. He will help guide you to what you want after he hears all your goals and needs.
Old 06-09-2019, 10:06 PM   #9
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:
If you're interested in torque, a motor alone is not going to get you what you want. Torque comes from amperage. Theoretically, you could just put a big controller on it and leave the same motor on it, but that creates another issue. The factory motor on your cart can't handle that kind of power. It's a GE thin-can motor and it has little tiny brushes in it that are designed for golf course use, with 2 people on the cart, with 18 inch tires. Any extra power and/or load on that motor is severely going to shorten it's life span. To get what you want, you're going to need a full package. Motor, Controller, Heavy Duty F&R Switch, 2 Gauge cable set, and a 400 Amp solenoid with a diode and a pre-charge resistor. The Admiral MOT-A1 motor would be a phenomenal choice for your application, as would a D&D high torque motor for a series car. Either motor can handle 500 amps with ease. Most commonly when we build upgraded series cars such as this one, we go with the Alltrax SR 500 amp controller with the Admiral MOT-A1. With a lift kit and 23" tires we're getting 24-26 MPH with enough torque to spin the wheels when climbing up into a trailer. Any potential "stall" situation will be addressed by installing this package. By stalling, I am referring to getting yourself into a situation where the motor simply does not have enough power to rotate. For instance, if you get stuck on a log or if you're trying to climb a steep incline from a dead stop. Applying throttle to a motor that won't go is detrimental for the life of the motor. You're throwing power to one certain spot on the motor armature, and because it can't rotate, it causes damage and destroys the armature. Therefore, ruining the motor. The beauty of this system is that it will not stall as long as your voltage is adequate. Instead, you'll get wheelspin and loss of traction.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car