lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-25-2019, 10:02 PM   #1
DFW Rusty
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default New style 3 pin charger on old style 2 pin cart.

Im on my phone so if its a bit jumbled i appologize.

Series cart, 36v, alltrax 500, hd fnr, 400a solenoid, 2ga wires.
Im buying new 48v batteries tomorrow and the guy said he has used 48v 3 pin chargers for cheap. He has 3 pin recepticals, but willl it work on my cart?

If so is there a special way to wire it up?
DFW Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-26-2019, 12:20 AM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: New style 3 pin charger on old style 2 pin cart.

Please give more info on the "3-pin" port. We can almost assuredly make it work, many have 2 pins, 3 pins, 4 pins. Is it the "triangle shaped" one?

The stock "3 pin triangle shape" chargers are usually Delta-q QE chargers, and they are cheap because they are junk. Got a whole pile of dead ones here. They were "spec'ed" by ezgo, from delta-q as a cheap OEM charger. They gave delta-q a "black eye" for quality because of how bad they were. I thought Delta-q wouldn't make that same mistake twice, but their ezgo OEM SC-48 charger is just a QE with new lipstick on the same 'ole pig. (Open one up, it's just the same in a new case). I guess I will admit they gave it a better thermal mass, and fatter fins, but a pile of poop with better fins is just a slightly cooler pile of poop. We can probably "trick" the charger into working, if we know what you have, charger, charge port & cart. (FWIW- I wouldn't do what I think your trying, I would get a better charger).
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 07:28 AM   #3
Imapled
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I leave the charge ports on the D-style carts and just change the end on the 48v chargers to d-style plugs. You can buy them on amazon really cheap. Just wire in the new plug. I recommend labelling the cart and the charger so no one accidentally uses your 48v d-style charger on a 36v cart... as well as no one uses a 36v d-style charger on your 48v cart.
Imapled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 08:01 AM   #4
DFW Rusty
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Morning all.

cgtech-
They guy said they are chargers that come in with fleet purchases of newer style TXT48 carts typically 2015 and newer. It is the triangle style. The company I work for bought 2 of his TXT48 carts last year and they came with the triangle plug.

As cheap as the charger is I don't mind if it's junk, if it gets me through for a while (even a short while) I will be happy.

Imapled
I don't mind replacing the plug on the charger, as long as I can figure out which wires go where... and that the charger will work on just a two pin.
Old 07-26-2019, 08:18 AM   #5
DFW Rusty
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Imapled-
I was just doing a quick search on amazon for chargers and the majority of 48v chargers are the 3 pin triangle style. Wouldn't I be better to convert my golf cart thus way making it where I could interchange chargers.

I don't know if it's even possible to convert my 2 pin golf cart, mainly cuz I don't know what the 3rd wire on the 3 pin goes to.

Who knows, maybe I am just better off to buy a 2 pin 48v charger, but dagum are they expensive... They start at $300 and go up.
Old 07-26-2019, 08:25 AM   #6
DFW Rusty
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I did just find this guy...… Maybe I would be safer to go this route...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/48-Volt-Bat...YAAOSwEYJdANQk
Old 07-26-2019, 08:34 AM   #7
LukeL
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW Rusty View Post
I did just find this guy...… Maybe I would be safer to go this route...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/48-Volt-Bat...YAAOSwEYJdANQk

No! Don’t buy one of those. They are like 5 or 6 amps. Not nearly enough to actually charge a battery pack. They are horrible...
LukeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 10:46 AM   #8
DFW Rusty
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

So, I am leaving in 45 min to go get the batteries and charger. Do y'all feel it would be hard to convert to a 3 pin (or convert the charger to a 2 pin) or should I just buy the batteries, and order a high end 2 pin charger?
Old 07-26-2019, 10:47 AM   #9
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeL View Post
No! Don’t buy one of those. They are like 5 or 6 amps. Not nearly enough to actually charge a battery pack. They are horrible...
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 12:44 PM   #10
LukeL
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW Rusty View Post
So, I am leaving in 45 min to go get the batteries and charger. Do y'all feel it would be hard to convert to a 3 pin (or convert the charger to a 2 pin) or should I just buy the batteries, and order a high end 2 pin charger?

It depends on what the third wire does. I believe I did it once before but I can’t remember honestly.
LukeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO