lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-26-2019, 02:17 PM   #11
DFW Rusty
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: New style 3 pin charger on old style 2 pin cart.

Just got back with the new batteries. Didn't have a warm and fuzzy feeling about buying the charger and converting to a 3 pin. I'm going to wait until next week to make a decision on a charger, definitely sticking with a 2 pin, but I am going to see if I can find a decent one for a little less or I may just have to bite the bullet and spend $320ish for a new charger!
DFW Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-26-2019, 03:42 PM   #12
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
Please give more info on the "3-pin" port. We can almost assuredly make it work, many have 2 pins, 3 pins, 4 pins. Is it the "triangle shaped" one?

The stock "3 pin triangle shape" chargers are usually Delta-q QE chargers, and they are cheap because they are junk. Got a whole pile of dead ones here. They were "spec'ed" by ezgo, from delta-q as a cheap OEM charger. They gave delta-q a "black eye" for quality because of how bad they were. I thought Delta-q wouldn't make that same mistake twice, but their ezgo OEM SC-48 charger is just a QE with new lipstick on the same 'ole pig. (Open one up, it's just the same in a new case). I guess I will admit they gave it a better thermal mass, and fatter fins, but a pile of poop with better fins is just a slightly cooler pile of poop. We can probably "trick" the charger into working, if we know what you have, charger, charge port & cart. (FWIW- I wouldn't do what I think your trying, I would get a better charger).
Delta-Q made the mistake a THIRD time. I just dealt with one of their ERIC chargers (why Club car why?!) which feel cheaper and more fragile than a QE, and is Club Car's version of the same. it was stone dead, not even the level of access inside as a QE. couldn't get past the board full of unnecessary transistors and surface mount garbage. Oh, and a huge Made in China label underneath.

OP, with chargers you get what you pay for. you can keep buying the QEs cheap now, like $150 for rebuilt, but you'll end up in an endless loop of buying new ones every year or so, vs. paying $450 once for a good DPI charger you only buy once.
nickdalzell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 02:27 AM   #13
DFW Rusty
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

My new batteries have the terminals on one side of the battery which made my existing cables too short..... grrrrr...... had to order new longer battery cables.....
Old 07-27-2019, 06:00 AM   #14
handtools
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Yep, 8v batteries have the terminals on the same side vs. 6v which are on opposite sides. I wouldn't wait too long to get a charger, those new batteries need to be fully charged before running the cart. I would get either a DPI or a Lester Summit II and stay with your existing charge port. I have 2 DPI chargers and am very happy with them.
handtools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 07:46 AM   #15
DFW Rusty
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

New battery cables came in yesterday. Wired it all back up, took it for a test spin, but didn't drive it much since I haven't charged the batteries yet. Very glad I upgraded to 48V batteries. Charger is supposed to be here tomorrow. Can't wait to charge these bad boys and take it for a long drive!

One issue, my lights don't work anymore. I checked the fuse, fuse is good. These lights are very simple and don't really have anything that could go bad other than the fuse. Do y'all think that there is a chance that when my 36v batteries were dying it low voltage the lights and fryed them?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Resized_20190730_193218.jpg (89.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-31-2019, 08:14 AM   #16
CPAT22
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

ScottyB has Lester Summit 2 chargers for $312 . They will charge 36 OR a 48 V cart battery pack. He also sells the connectors for whichever one you need.It also has bluetooth compatability with an App you can download to check charging,etc..
I am thinking your lights no longer work because you went from 36V to 48 volt,and if you wired two 6V batteries together to get 12 volts, your lights work fine. If you wire two 8V batteries together , you get 16 volts which may give your lights and accessories fits.You will need a step down transformer( Scotty sells them as well) to get the voltage back down to 12 V . Dont keep trying to run you accessories at 16V, especially if you have a radio or electronics in that cart.
I just installed 8v batteries last night in my cart ( i went from 36-48V) and had to swap the orientation of the batteries around to make the cable lengths fit, also.
CPAT22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 08:15 AM   #17
CPAT22
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

cartsunlimited.net for ScottyB's website. Great info there and prices too !
CPAT22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 09:21 AM   #18
ahoward32
Not Yet Wild

I know this is an old thread but I am having the same problem. Just upgraded to 48 volt and the new charger comes with a three-pin whereas my port is a D plug two pin. I took the charger plugs apart to swap them but my current D plug has a blue and brown wire and the triangle plug has a white, black and green wire. Do I just cap the green ground wire and attach the white and black to the old blue and brown pins on the D plug?
ahoward32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 09:02 PM   #19
leftybuggy
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by handtools View Post
Yep, 8v batteries have the terminals on the same side vs. 6v which are on opposite sides. I wouldn't wait too long to get a charger, those new batteries need to be fully charged before running the cart. I would get either a DPI or a Lester Summit II and stay with your existing charge port. I have 2 DPI chargers and am very happy with them.
Lester Summit II comes with wiring instructions for 2 and 3 wire connectors!!
leftybuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO